GK & Current Affairs: April 29-30, 2014
1. The 2014 winner of prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize is __?
Indian environment activist Ramesh Agarwal has won the prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize that honours heroic grassroot environmentalists around the world for their achievements. He has been honoured for his contribution to control the unchecked industrial development throughout India.
2. The “Operation Clandestine Fox” which is in news recently, is a code name refers to _____?
[A]Searching of missing Malaysian Flight in Indian Ocean
[B]Russian military exercise along Ukraine border
[C]A campaign to hack the Microsoft’s internet explorer
[D]An operation by Indian force to check Bangladeshi migrants
A campaign to hack the Microsoft’s internet explorer
3. The “Sepsis” is a medical condition refers to an infection that has spread through _____?
Sepsis refers to an infection that has spread through the blood, causing symptoms throughout the whole body.
4. Which among the following has bagged five major awards at the 15th International India Film Academy (IIFA) awards?
[B]Jab Tak Hai Jaan
[C]Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
Farhan Akhtar’s “Bhaag Milkha Bhaag” a biopic on legendary athlete Milkha Singh, won five major awards including best actor, best director and best picture at the 15th International India Film Academy (IIFA) awards.
5. Recently, which one of the following international groupings has temporarily banned the import of Alphonso Mango and four vegetables from India on poor quality issue?
The European Union has temporarily imposed ban on import of Alphonso Mangoes and four vegetables from India from 1st May onwards which brought protests from the Indian community, lawmakers and traders.
6. Who among the following has been named as professional Footballers Association player of the year 2013?
Liverpool’s Luis Saurez has been named the Professional Footballer’s Associations player of the year for 2013-14, becoming the first non-European to win the award
7. Recently, which of the following firm has acquired Nokia handset business in India?
US software giant Microsoft completed the acquisition of Nokia’s mobile handset business in India. Nokia will continue to operate the Chennai plant one of its largest manufacturing facilities on a service contract for Microsoft.
8. The iron ore deposits in Goa are mainly _______?
The iron ore deposits in Goa are mainly haematite.
9. Approximately, what fraction of India’s GDP is generated by Tourism?
The World Travel & Tourism Council calculated that tourism generated INR6.4 trillion or 6.6% of the nation’s GDP in 2012. It supported 39.5 million jobs, 7.7% of its total employment. The sector is predicted to grow at an average annual rate of 7.9% from 2013 to 2023
10. India’s Poonam Rani is a player of __?
Hisar-born Poonam Rani who played her first international in 2009, has not looked back since her debut and sealed her berth to the FIH Junior World Cup in USA the same year. In 2010 she was part of the team playing Test matches against Japan, China and New Zealand, her performance yet again helped her to represent the country in the Women Asian Champions Trophy i n Korea as well as FIH Women’s World Cup which was played in Argentina, Commonwealth Games in Delhi, Asian Games in China same year.
Since then Poonam Rani has represented India in almost every tournament that the country has played. She was also part of the team that won historic bronze medal in the FIH Junior Women’s World Cup 2013 in Germany and 3rd Women Asian Champions Trophy 2013 Japan bagging silver medal. (UNI)