GK & Current Affairs: March 25-26, 2014
1. The official residence of the U.S. Ambassador in Embassy of United States in India is known as __?
2. Which among the following is the venue for the third nuclear summit concluded recently?
[B]The Hague, Netherland
The Hague, Netherland
The third nuclear summit was held in The Hague, Netherlands on March 24-25, 2014. The summit is aimed at preventing nuclear terrorism around the globe.
3. The Royal Mail, Britain’s postal service company, has issued a postage stamp commemorating Noorunissa Inayat Khan, a World War II heroine of Indian origin. Khan was a descendent of ___?
[A]Nizam of Hyderabad
[B]Tipu Sultan of Mysore
[C]Adil Shahis of Bijapur
Tipu Sultan of Mysore
Noorunissa Inayat Khan was a descendant of Tippu Sultan of Mysore. She worked as a wireless officer for the British Special Operations Executive (SOE) in Paris during 1943, when the city was occupied by Nazi forces.
4. Which among the following countries has won the coveted ICC Laureus Spirit of Sports award 2014?
5. In context to astronomy, “Charkilo” which is in news recently is ___?
Charkilo is a recently discovered miniature planet with two rings of ice and pebbles between Saturn and Uranus in the Kuiper Belt. This is the first ever discovery of a celestial body with rings like giant planets Saturn and Jupiter.
6. Which among the following communication satellite of India has gone out of service after being in the orbit for ten-and-a-half years?
Communication satellite INSAT-3E has completed its life and gone out of service. Built to last 15 years, it has completed ten-and-a-half years in orbit. The third generation satellite was launched in September 2003 with 36 transponders-24C bands and 12 extended C-band transponders but only 25 of them have been working since 2009.
7. Recently, President of India has cleared the ordinance of the SEBI law. The ordinance empowers the SEBI chairman to order searches and seizures on ___?
[D]Foreign Direct Investments
President Pranab Mukherjee cleared the re-promulgation of the SEBI ordinance that has lapsed in the winter session 2013. The ordinance empowers the Securities and Exchanges Board of India (SEBI) chairman to order searches and seizures and crack downs on Ponzi schemes.
8. Recently, which bank became the first state-run lender to allow withdrawal of funds to individuals from ATM’s without an account in the bank?
[A]United Bank of India
[B]State Bank of India
[C]Bank of India
Bank of India
Bank of India became the first state-run lender to allow withdrawal of funds to individuals from its ATMs without an account in the bank. The bank launched a domestic remittance service called “Instant money transfer” that allows cardless cash withdrawal from selected ATMs which are tuned for this facility.
9. Which among the following has become the first new generation private sector bank to launch an electronic Kisan Card on the RuPay platform?
Private sector lender Axis Bank becomes the first bank to introduce electronic Kisan Card on the RuPay platform. The card aimed at helping farmers access liquidity round-the-clock.
10. Name the Indian Shooter who won the silver medal in World Cup in USA, recently?
World number two air pistol shooter Heena Sindhu clinched a silver medal at the ISSF World cup in Fort Benning, USA. Sindhu shot an impressive 386 with rounds of 98, 96, 96, 96. Heena shot a good 200.8 in the final to clinch the medal.