GK & Current Affairs: September 27, 28, 2014
1. In the recently concluded Asian Games, what was the rank of India in final medal tally?
India finished 8th in the Inchon Asian Games 2014 Medal Tally with a total haul of 57, comprising of 11 gold, 10 silver and 36 bronze. China topped the medals table for the ninth time with another staggering haul of 342 medals.
2. Who among the following has been selected for 2014 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize?
[A]Dr. James Maynard
Dr. James Maynard
The prize is awarded annually to young mathematicians for outstanding contributions in the areas influenced by the mathematical genius Srinivasa Ramanujan. The 2014 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize will be awarded to Dr. James Maynard (27) of the Oxford University.
3. Which of the following is not a payload on Mars Orbital Mission that was put in Martian orbit by India in its maiden attempt?
[B]Methane Sensor for Mars
[C]Thermal Infrared Imaging Spectrometer
[D]Langmuir Probe and Waves antenna
Langmuir Probe and Waves antenna
Langmuir Probe and Waves antenna is a part of the MAVEN spacecraft to study Mars by NASA. The five payloads of MOM are: 1. Lyman-Alpha Photometer 2. Methane Sensor for Mars 3. Thermal Infrared Imaging Spectrometer 4. Mars Exospheric Neutral Composition Analyser 5. Mars Colour Camera
4. Who among the following has been recently appointed as the Chairman of Quality Council of India?
Recently, the NDA Government has appointed former McKinsey India chairman Adil Zainulbhai as head of the Quality Council of India (QCI). Quality Council of India is the national level body, set up in 1997, registered as an autonomous society.
5. With which among the following sport is Saketh Myneni associated with?
Saketh Myneni, 400th-ranked tennis player who won a silver in the men’s doubles partnering Sanam Singh, besides the mixed doubles gold partnering Sania Mirza in the recent Incheon Asian Games.
6. Which among the following has been registered as strongest storm of 2014 as of September-October 2014?
Typhoon Vongfong is the strongest tropical cyclone since last year’s Typhoon Haiyan is classed as a Super Typhoon, is heading north towards the Japanese island prefecture of Okinawa.
7. From 28 September 2014, state of Maharashtra has been kept under President’s rule as per under which among the articles of Constitution of India?
President’s rule refers to Article 356 of the Constitution of India deals with the failure of the constitutional machinery of an Indian state. In the event that government in a state is not able to function as per the Constitution, the state comes under the direct control of the central government, with executive authority exercised through the Governor instead of a Council of Ministers.
8. With reference to FDI in retail in India, which among the following statements is / are correct?
[A]100% FDI in single-brand retail and multibrand retail is permitted
[B]100% FDI in single-brand retail and 51% FDI in multibrand retail is permitted
[C]100% FDI in multibrand retail is permitted
[D]100% FDI in single-brand retail and 26% FDI in multibrand retail is permitted
100% FDI in single-brand retail and 51% FDI in multibrand retail is permitted
Under the UPA govt, India permitted 100% FDI in single-brand retail, scrapping the earlier ceiling of 51%. On 7 December 2012, the government had also managed to allow 51% FDI in multi- brand retail in India.
9. Which among the following is the largest consumed edible vegetable oil in India?
In India refined soy oil is the second largest edible oil consumed with a market share of around 15 – 18%. Palm oil consumption by Indian consumer is the most at 46% of the total edible oil consumption.
10. Which among the following banks have recently launched Smart Star savings account for minors who are more than 10 years old?
[A]State Bank of India
ICICI Bank has launched Smart Star, a savings account that can be opened and operated by minors who are more than 10 years old. Minors will be allowed to operate their accounts independently. Accounts will be opened in their names and they will receive personalised check books and debit cards with their pictures on them. Minors will be able to issue cheques, pay bills, recharge mobile phones, open fixed deposits and recurring deposits. They will also have access to ATMs and to mobile and Internet banking.