GK & Current Affairs: August 19, 20, 2014
1. During PM Modi’s recent Jammu and Kashmir visit, which hydel power project was inaugurated in Kargil?
[A]45MW Nimoo Bazgo project
[B]44MW Chutak project
[C]345MW Salal project
[D]390MW Dul Hasti project
44MW Chutak project
44MW Chutak project: It is a run of the river project built on the Suru River (a monthly tributary of Indus), a few kms from Srinagar
2. Which is the first European spacecraft to orbit 67P Churyumov-Gerasimenko comet?
[D]Spirit and Opportunity
3. What is name of the new species of Dolphin recently discovered in Australia?
4. The new Central government scheme named “HOMES” which stands for Home Owners Mortgage Equity Subvention Scheme, is a new loan assistance scheme to be rolled by the government to help the economically weaker sections (EWS) and low income group (LIG) to secure easy home loans in urban areas. This scheme has replaced which among the following existing schemes?
[A]Indra Awas Yojana
[B]Basti Sudhar Yojana
[C]Rajiv Rinn Yojana
[D]Sabke Liya Aawas Yojana
Rajiv Rinn Yojana
Rajiv Rinn Yojana as it had failed to start and the funds allocated lapsed. The new scheme is approved by Cabinet aims to increase the interest subsidy from 5% to 5.5%. Also, the clause of furnishing an income certificate from local revenue officials has been scrapped. Instead the applicants can now give self-attested certificates.
5. What is the name of the new initiative by IDBI and Unicef in Uttar Pradesh to provide safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene?
WASH: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene: It will directly impact 80,000 children in 400 schools and anganwadi centers in UP and Maharashtra. It is in line with PM’s Swachh Bharat Mission which was unveiled by him on independence day.
6. Under its new technique developed by BARC scientists to treat eye cancers, which isotope of Iodine is being used?
I-125 has been used by BARC scientists in form of BARC I-125 Ocu-Prosta seed to treat retinoblastoma and uveal tract melanoma-two rarest eye cancers.
7. Which of these famous dancers is associate with Kuchipudi Dance?
[A]Guru Bipan Sinha
He comes from Krishna district in Andhra Pradesh and is a great Kucipudi dancer and instructor. He has received the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1993.
8. After the recent changes done in PPF scheme, what is the maximum ammount a person can deposit annually in Public Provident Fund (PPF)?
[A]Rs. 1 Lakh
[B]Rs. 1.5 Lakh
[C]Rs. 2.0 Lakh
[D]Rs. 2.5 Lakh
Rs. 1.5 Lakh
PPF is a 15-year investment scheme under which an investor enjoys tax exemption at the time of deposit, accrual of interest and withdrawal. The interest rate on deposit in PPF for 2014-15 fiscal is 8.7%. The Government has recently increased the PPF limit from Rs. 1 Lakh to 1.5 Lakh annualy.
9. Which among the following the second largest component of Natural Gas after Methane?
Ethane is the second-largest component of natural gas after methane.
10. Irom Chanu Sharmila, who is fasting for last many years against Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) belongs to which among the following states?
For 14 years, Sharmila has fasted, asking only for the repeal of the brutal Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA). This colonialera law, dusted out when Naga militancy began in the 1950s, allows the military to do practically whatever it wants at gunpoint. She is known as “Mengoubi” in Manipur.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »