GK & Current Affairs: November 22-24, 2014
1. Sitara Devi, who passed away recently was a legendary maestro of __?
[C]Hindustani Classical Music
Kathak queen Sitara Devi died at the age of 94. She was honoured with the Legends of India Lifetime Achievement Award 2011 for her contribution to the classical dance genre for over six decades.
2. The recently banned militant outfit Kamatapur Liberation Organisation (KLO) operates in __?
[A]West Bengal and Assam
[B]Assam and Nagaland
[C]Nagaland & Manipur
[D]West Bengal and Odisha
West Bengal and Assam
Central Government recently banned militant outfit Kamatapur Liberation Organisation (KLO), which operates in West Bengal and Assam. KLO came into existence in 1993 to achieve the objective of a separate sovereign Kamatapur state. It has been consolidating its position in the 14 districts in Assam and 6 districts in West Bengal both organisationally and in terms of weapons and cadres.
3. The recently announced ‘Newton-Bhabha Fund’ is a collaboration between__?
[A]India and US
[B]India and UK
[C]India and Australia
[D]India and Sweden
India and UK
India and United Kingdom (UK) have recently announced Newton-Bhabha Fund programme to scale up their bilateral research & innovation relationship to a greater level.
4. Recently, China and the US have entered into a landmark agreement to cut greenhouse gas emissions. What fraction of world’s carbon dioxide emissions are produced by China and US together?
China and US, together produce about 44% of the world’s carbon dioxide. (China 29%, US 15%). India’s share is 7.1%.
5. The 67P/ Churyumov–Gerasimenko, which was recently making news is a __?
[B]Oort Cloud Body
In the second week of November 2014, the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Rosetta mission landed its Philae probe on the surface of Comet 67P/ Churyumov–Gerasimenko.
6. Which among the following states have achieved 100% Financial inclusion recently?
[D]All of above
All of above
Goa, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh have so far declared that they have achieved 100 percent Financial Inclusion under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY). Three Union Territories (UTs) namely Chandigarh, Puducherry and Lakshadweep also have achieved 100 percent financial inclusion under PMJDY.
7. Which among the following actors have been recently appointed as UN Women’s Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia?
Bollywood actor-director Farhan Akhtar was appointed as UN Women’s Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia. He has become the first male to be appointed as Goodwill Ambassador in UN’s history.
8. Where are the headquarters of INTERPOL?
International Criminal Police Organization, or INTERPOL, is a non-governmental organization facilitating international police cooperation. The organization’s headquarters is in Lyon, France.
9. What is the lock-in period in the revamped Kisan Vikas Patra scheme?
Kisan Vikas Patra scheme has unique liquidity feature, where an investor can encash his certificates after the lock-in period of 2 years and 6 months and thereafter in any block of six months on pre- determined maturity value.
10. The correct location of Indian Institute of Spices Research (IISR) is __?