GK & Current Affairs: July 21, 22, 2014
1. Recently a term “Bladabindi” was making news. What is “Bladabindi”?
[B]A World Heritage site
[C]A community in Africa
[D]A new comet discovered recently
Bladabindi is multi-identity virus which steals sensitive personal information of a user for nefarious purposes. Bladabindi is infecting Microsoft Windows Operating system and spreading via infecting removable USB flash drives and via other malwares.
2. The “Erra Matti Dibbalu (Red Sand Dunes)” which has been declared a Geo-heritage Site is located in which place?
The Erra Matti Dibbalu site is in Visakhapatnam. The place is a rare scientific paleo coastal red sand dunes, which contain Mesolithic and Neolithic in it, a first in the country. The Geological Survey of India has declared the Erra Matti Dunes as one of the geo-heritage site of the country.
3. The “Pudhu Vazhvu Scheme” is an empowerment and poverty reduction initiative launched by ____?
4. Who among the following was the founder of “Ahmedia Movement”?
[A]Mirza Gulam Ahmed
[B]Syed Ahmed Khan
[C]Syed Shariat Allah
Mirza Gulam Ahmed
Ahmadia is an Islamic religious movement founded in British India near the end of the 19th century. It originated with the life and teaching of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad.
5. The ELN (National Liberation Army) is an armed group active in _____?
The ELN or National Liberation Army is an armed group involved in the continuing Colombian armed conflict. The ELN advocate a composite Communist ideology of Marxism and Liberation theology; they conduct military operation throughout the national territory of Columbia.
6. The Union government has planning to launch new schemes “Ustaad”, “Hamari Dharohar” and “Nai Manzil” for the welfare of ___?
[D]Other Backward Classes
Ustaad, Hamari Dharohar and Nai Manzil are the proposed schemes for minorities. Ustaad aims at upgrading skills and training in preservation of traditional ancestral arts/crafts of minorities, while Humari Dharohar aims to preserve the rich heritage of minority communities. Nai Manzil is a course to bridge the academic and skill development gaps of madrasa pass outs.
7. Sanjita Chanu, who won the first gold medal for India at the 20th Commonwealth Games associated with which sports/events?
Khumukcham Sanchita Chanu is an Indian weightlifter. She won the first gold medal for India in the women’s 48 kg weight class at the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Glasgow.
8. At which one of the following places, the River Cauvery flows at its widest?
Kulithalai is a small town on the bank of the Cauvery in Tamil Nadu’s karur district. Here the river flows the widest, with its banks 1.5 km apart, and is called Akhanda Cauvery.
9. Which among the following countries is the world’s largest producer and consumer of pulses?
India is the world’s largest producer and consumer of pulses.
10. Which among the following countries is the largest producer and exporter of black and white pepper?