GK & Current Affairs: January 3, 2015
1. Which among the following is the official mascot of the 35th National Games?
The Great Indian Hornbill or christened as Ammu, the state bird of the Kerala, is the official Mscot of the 35th National Games.
2. Who among the following is the author of “The Dramatic Decade: The Indira Gandhi Years”?
The Dramatic Decade: The Indira Gandhi Years has been written by Pranab Mukherjee. This book focuses on 1970s and is a rare account of one of the most contentious periods in Independent India’s past: The Emergency.
3. Recently, the United Nations General Assembly has adopted a resolution in favour of granting citizenship to Rohingya Muslims. The Rohingya Muslims are stateless people of __?
The Rohingya are a Muslim minority population living mainly in the state of Arakan, in Myanmar. Recently, the United Nations general assembly adopted a resolution urging Myanmar to grant citizenship to its Rohingya Muslims minority and grant them equal access to services.
4. Who among the following is chiefly known as “Father of Indian Mansoon Model”?
[D]C R Rao
Noted scientist and space veteran Vasat Gowrikar, who made valuable contribution to the fields of space research, weather and population was chiefly known as Father of Indian Mansoon Model.
5. The former RBI deputy governor Shyamala Gopinath has been appointed as the chairperson of which among the following banks?
Former RBI deputy governor Shyamala Gopinath has been appointed as chairperson of HDFC Bank, India’s second largest private sector bank. She has been appointed as part-time non-executive chairperson of the bank for a period of three years from January 2, 2015.
6. The “Kolha” is a tribe indigenous to which one of the following states?
Kolha is an important tribe living in forest areas and hilly terrains in the state of Odisha.
7. Who among the following is the new chairman of the Railways board?
[B]A K Mittal
[D]A K Putia
A K Mittal
A K Mittal is the new chairman of the Railways board.
8. For the first time, Kisan Vikas Patra was launched on __?
[A]1st April 1990
[B]1st April 1988
[C]1st June 1990
[D]1st June 1988
1st April 1988
9. According to International Federation of Journalist, which among the following is the most dangerous country for journalists?
Pakistan is the most dangerous country for journalist, according to International Federation of Journalist. In Pakistan 14 media persons lost their lives in 2014. As per the report, Asia Pacific region was the most dangerous region for journalists and media staff in the world for a second consecutive year. The Middle East is the second most dangerous region with 31 fatalities followed by Americas with 26. Africa came fourth (17 killings) and Europe reported nine deaths.
10. US dollar index is the trade weighted index of the how many currencies?
US dollar index is a trade weighted index of the six most traded currencies globally viz. Euro (57.6% weight), Japanese yen (13.6% weight), Pound sterling (11.9% weight), Canadian dollar (9.1% weight), Swedish krona (4.2% weight) and Swiss franc (3.6% weight). It has been a key gauge for measuring risk aversion among global investors in Indian equities and the investment outlook in global risky assets. It has lost relevance in recent times.