GK & Current Affairs: October 3, 4, 2014
1. With reference to the Maithreyi International Visiting Professorship scheme launched recently by the Union Ministry for Science and Technology, which among the following is / are correct statements?
1. India will invite 12 leading international scholars from across the world to come to India as Visiting Professors.
2. The visiting professors will deliver three talks, one each in a school, a college and a research institution.
3. The video version of the talks will be recorded in Hindi & English and possibly in several other Indian languages
Select the correct option from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
1, 2 & 3
Under the Maithreyi International Visiting Professorship scheme, India will invite 12 leading international scholars from across the world to come to India as Visiting Professors and deliver 3 lectures-one in school, a college and a research institute, the videos of which will be made available in many languages.
2. What is the name of the Earth observing instrument recently installed by NASA on the International Space Station?
[B]Gamma Ray and Neutron Detector
[C]Visible and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer
[D]The Framing Camera
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)successfully installed and activated its first Earth-observing instrument ISS-RapidScat (ISS Rapid Scatterometer) on the International Space Station (ISS).
3. October 11, 2014 was celebrated as the International Day of the Girl Child. What was the theme of the same?
[A]Empowering Adolescent Girls: Ending the Cycle of Violence.
[B]Issues of Women Safety
[C]Fight against sex determination
[D]Maternal and Child Mortality
Empowering Adolescent Girls: Ending the Cycle of Violence
UN General Assembly on December 19, 2011 adopted a Resolution 66/170 to declare October 11 as the International Day of the Girl Child. The theme of this year was Empowering Adolescent Girls: Ending the Cycle of Violence
4. The winner of Dutch Open Grand Prix badminton tournament 2014 is __?
[B]Ihsan Maulana Mustofa
Ajay Jayaram has won the $50,000 Dutch Open Grand Prix Badminton Tournament 2014, held at Topsportcentrum Almere in Netherlands.
5. Who has been awarded the Kishore Kumar Award for 2012-13?
[C]Lyricist Javed Akhtar
Lyricist Sameer won the National Kishore Kumar Award 2012-13 at the legend’s birthplace Khandwa in MP. The award comprises a cash prize of Rs. 2 lakh, citation, shawl and shreefal.
6. Who has recently been appointed as the head of Civil Rights division of the US Justice Department?
[B]Arun M Kumar
Indian-American Vanita Gupta, a top lawyer from American Civil Liberties Union has been appointed as the head of Civil Rights division of the US Justice Department.
7. Which country has launched its first domestically built communication satellite named ARSAT-1?
Argentina has launched its first domestically built communication satellite named ARSAT-1, constructed with local technology in Latin America. It was built by a crew of about 500 scientists over seven years at a cost of $250 million.
8. Which of the following is not a part of the 13 agreements signed between India and Norway recently?
[A]MoU on exemption of Visa requirement for holders of diplomatic and official passports
[B]MoU to promote cultural cooperation and exchanges
[C]MoU in field of Earth System Sciences
[D]MoU in field of Nuclear Fuel and Energy
MoU in field of Nuclear Fuel and Energy
India and Norway signed 13 agreements to promote bilateral relations. The agreements were signed in Oslo in the presence of President Pranab Mukherjee and PM of Norway Erna Solberg.
9. Who has been appointed as India’s new Chief Economic Adviser?
US-based economist Arvind Subramanian has been given charge of the Chief Economic Adviser of India. Prior to this, he served as a senior fellow at Peterson Institute for International Economics as well at the Centre for Global Development. He has also worked at IMF.
10. Who is the first Indian President to visit the official residence of Santa Claus?
[A]APJ Abdul Kalam Azad
[C]K R Narayanan
India’s first citizen and head of state crossed the Arctic Circle to meet Santa Claus at Rovaniemi, Finland. Rovaniemi is situated on the Arctic Circle at 66.5 degrees north latitude and marks the southern boundary of Arctic region. It is also known for nightless summer nights and sunless winter days.