GK & Current Affairs: October 5, 6, 2014
1. “The Organiser” is a weekly magazine published by which among the following organizations?
[A]Bhartiya Janta Party
[B]Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh
[C]The Hindu Group
[D]Communist Party of India
Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh
Organiser is the official publication of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. It was launched in 1947.
2. Who among the following is the winner of 2014 Nobel Prize for Economics?
[C]Lars Peter Hansen
[D]Alvin E. Roth
French economist Jean Tirole has won the Nobel Prize for Economics 2014 for his work on how to regulate powerful economies.
3. Who has been named as the Most Valued Player of India’s Incheon Asian Games squad?
Mary Kom, who became the first Indian woman boxer to win a gold medal in Asian Games, chosen as the Most Valuable Player of India’s Incheon Asian Games campaign at a felicitation of the medal winners.
4. Which among the following is the first state in India to start an Olive Refinery?
The Olive Refinery is established in Lunkaransar area of Bikaner. The state started cultivation of olive in 2007 under olive cultivation project and is one of the leading states today in this.
5. Who among the following has been selected for Singapore’s Cultural Medallion?
[C]H K Kaul
Indian-origin Singaporean poet and writer K.T.M. Iqbal will be awarded Cultural Medallion, the country’s highest cultural award by President Tony Tan Keng Yam. The 74-year-old Tamil poet’s achievements include more than 200 children’s songs written for Radio Singapore in the 1970s and 1980s, as well as seven collections of poetry.
6. UN General Assembly has elected a few countries to serve as non-permanent members of the Security Council. Which of the following countries is not chosen in the same?
Venezuela, Angola, Malaysia, New Zealand and Spain on 16 October 2014 were elected as non-permanent members of United Nations Security Council (UNSC). They will begin their two-year appointment on 1 January 2015 and will serve on the Council until 31 December 2016.
7. Union Ministry of Science and Technology has launched a joint Indo-Canada Science Programme. What is the main focus of the same?
[A]Clean environment technology
[B]Space innovation technology
[C]Nuclear energy technology
[D]Clean water technology
Clean water technology
The joint Indo-Canada Science , will focus on clean water technologies. It will be enabled in building safe and sustainable infrastructure and integrated water management. It is in line with PM Narendra Modi’s Clean Ganga and Clean River mission.
8. Who has been appointed as the new Finance Secretary of India?
Mehrishi was Finance Secretary of Rajasthan government and has been instrumental in the Vasundhara Raje government to push through key labour reforms which later came to be known as Rajasthan Model.
9. Which among the following is India’s first long range subsonic cruise missile?
India’s first long range subsonic cruise missile, Nirbhay, was successfully test fired from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, in Orissa, for a distance of about 1,000 km. The 6m tall, low altitude flying missile which can evade detection by radars .The tree-top flying missile, can carry conventional and nuclear war heads.
10. Who has won Sir Ross Masood Lifetime Achievement Award 2014?
[A]Shri Saiyid Hamid
[B]Brig Ahmad Ali
[C]Justice A.M. Ahmadi
[D]Dr. Syedna Burhanuddin
Shri Saiyid Hamid
Shri Saiyid Hamid has been conferred Sir Ross Masood Lifetime Achievement Award 2014. The Vice President presented a Citation for Award and an award check to Shri Hamid. Shri Hamid has played a very important and significant role for many decades in the field of education and it is of very much importance that Aligarh Muslim University Association Inc. New York (AAANY) has unanimously selected to honour him.