GK & Current Affairs: May 18, 19, 2014
1. The “World Information Society Day” is observed on _____?
In November 2005, the World Summit on the Information Society called upon the UN General Assembly to declare 17 May as World Information Society Day to focus on the importance of ICT and the wide range of issues related to the information society raised by WSIS. The General Assembly adopted a resolution in March 2006 stipulating that World Information Society Day shall be celebrated every year on 17 May.
2. The term “Tiger Cub Economies” collectively refers to the economies of which of the following countries?
[A]India, Myanmar, Thailand, China
[B]Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand
[C]Indonesia, India, Thailand, Taiwan
[D]India, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia
Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand
3. The “Maitree” is a name of joint combat exercise between India and ___?
Maitree is a joint combat exercise between Indian army and Royal Thai army. Indian and Thai forces have been exercising regularly together since 2007.
4. India’s Short Range-Surface to Air Missile (SR-SAM) project is co-development dual venture between India and __?
The SR-SAM project is a co-development dual venture between India and France, which will be developed by MBDA of France and DRDO from the Indian side. The SR-SAM is a Short Range Surface to Air Missile System with a range of 15 km with seeker based guidance system.
5. According to Law, if a person chosen as Prime Minister of India is neither a member of Loka Sabha or Rajya Sabha at the time of selection, he must become a member of either of the houses within __ months. Fill the blank with correct option?
If a person chosen as Prime Minister of India is neither a member of Loka Sabha or Rajya Sabha at the time of selection, he must become a member of either of the houses within six months.
6. The “Kalsubai” is the highest peak of the sahyadris in ___?
Kalsubai is the highest peak of the sahyadris in Maharashtra.
7. Which among the following countries is hosting the 2014 Men’s Hockey World Cup tournament?
The 2014 Men’s Hockey World Cup will be the 13th edition of the Hockey World Cup. It will be held from 31 May to 15 June 2014 at the Kyocera Stadium in The Hague, Netherlands.
8. According to UK magazine SportsPro, who has been ranked top in the list of most marketable athletes in the world?
Formula One ace Lewis Hamilton has been named the world’s most marketable athlete according to the world’s 50 most marketable athletes 2014 list, compiled by SportPro magazine. India’s cricketer Virat Kohli has been ranked second in the list.
9. The CryoSat-2 is an environmental research satellite to study the Earth’s polar ice caps launched by ___?
[C]European Space Agency
[D]Russian Space Agency
European Space Agency
CryoSat-2 is a European Space Agency environmental research satellite which was launched in April 2010. It provides scientists with data about the polar ice caps and tracks changes in the thickness of the ice with a resolution of about 1.3 centimetres.
10. Recently, India and which one of the following countries has come together to conduct a joint naval exercise titled “Simbex-14”?
India and Singapore began a week-long joint naval exercise off the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The exercise, titled SIMBEX-14, is an annual bilateral war gaming conducted by the Indian Navy and the Republic of Singapore Navy. The 2014 edition of the Singapore Indian Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX) would be the 21st such exercise that began in 1993 to enhance inter-operability and mutual understanding between the two navies.