GK & Current Affairs: May 20, 21, 2014
1. The “InSight” is a NASA’s unmanned lander mission designed to probe on the surface of ____?
InSight is an unmanned Mars lander mission planned for launch in March 2016. The name stands for Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport. The mission objective is to place a stationary lander equipped with a seismometer and heat flow probe on the surface of Mars to study its early geological evolution.
2. Which among the following countries has won the 2014-Uber Cup tournament?
China’s shuttlers hoist the Uber cup after beating Japan 3-1 in the final. This is China’s 13th Uber cup title.
3. Who among the following is took over as the new Chief Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commissioner?
Former IB chief Rajiv Mathur took over as the new Chief Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commission.
4. Recently, the RBI has directed all banks to make all ATMs installed from ___ as talking ATMs with Braille keypads. Fill the blank with correct option?
[A]July 1, 2014
[B]July 1, 2015
[C]June 1, 2014
[D]June 1, 2014
July 1, 2014
5. “Ahn Dai-Hee”, has been named as new Prime Minister of ____?
South Korean President Park Geun-hye has named a former Supreme Court judge as the country’s new prime minister. Ahn’s appointment comes in the wake of former premier Chung Hon-won announcing resignation over the government response to the Sewon ferry disaster.
6. What is the name of India’s indigenously developed high-tech runway visual range assessment system which is going to install at various airports of the country?
Drishti is the name of India’s indigenously developed high-tech runway visual range assessment system. The new system will be jointly developed by CSIR-National Aerospace Laboratories and India Meteorological Department. Drishti Transmissometer is a visibility measuring system designed and developed to cover lowest to highest visibility levels aiding pilots for landing and take-off.
7. Which among the following constituencies has recorded highest voter turnout in the recently concluded Lok Sabha election?
The Dhubri constituency in Assam has recorded the highest voter turnout at 88.22% followed by Nagaland at 87.82. Srinagar of Jammu and Kashmir registered the lowest turnout at 25.90%.
8. Madhav Mantri, who passed away recently, was India’s oldest ___?
Madhav Mantri was India’s oldest living test cricketer. An opening batsman and a wicket-keeper, Mantri played four tests for India and represented Mumbai with distinction. He also served as India’s chief selector in the 1960s and was the president of the Mumbai Cricket Association between 1988 to 1992.
9. As per the latest report of the Revised National TB Programme which state has highest TB patients in the country?
Uttarakhand has large number of people afflicted with tuberculosis, both in the hills and in the plains. A quarterly report of the Revised National TB Programme Uttarakhand has listed that state has 3,389 TB patients, of which over 1,300 are cases of fresh infection.
10. “Malavath Purna” who became the youngest female climber to scale the Mount Everest belongs to which state?
Malavath Purna, a class IX student from Khammam district of Andhra Pradesh became the youngest female climber to scale the Mount Everest.