GK & Current Affairs: May 22, 23, 2014
1. The European Parliament has been directly elected every ___years. Fill the blank with correct option?
The EU has been directly elected every five years by universal suffrage since 1979.
2. Which among the following movies has won the top Palme d’Or award for best film at the 67th Cannes International Film Festival?
[D]Adieu au Langage
Turkish film Winter Sleep directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan won the top top Palme d’Or award for best film at the 67th Cannes International Film Festival. Le Meraviglie by Italian director Alice Rohrwacher took the second place.
3. The “Dag Hammarkjold Medal” given posthumously to military personnel, police or civil is instituted by ___?
The Dag Hammarkjold Medal is a posthumous award given by the United Nations to military personnel, police or civilians who lose their lives while serving in a UN peacekeeping operation. The medal is named after Dag Hammarkjold the second Secretary General of the UN, who died in a plane crash.
4. The 23rd World Economic Forum on East Asia was recently concluded in____?
The 23rd World Economic Forum on East Asia was held in Manila to discuss regional issues, such as political stability and infrastructure investment. It was the first time that Manila hosted the international event.
5. Recently, which two countries have settled a maritime border dispute after 20 years of negotiations?
[A]China and Japan
[B]China and Vietnam
[C]Philippines and Indonesia
[D]Indonesia and Myanmar
Philippines and Indonesia
The Philippines and Indonesia have settled a maritime border dispute after 20 years of negotiations. The deal comes amid increased regional tension over territorial disputes.
6. Which among the following project has been awarded the 2014 United Nations Public Service award, recently?
[A]Mobile Seva project
[B]Kisan Card scheme
The project Mobile Seva under Department of Electronics and Information Technology (Deity) won the 2014 United Nations Public Service award.
7. The famous archaeological monument “Rani ki Vav” is located in ___?
Rani ki Vav (The Queen’s Stepwell) is an archaeological monument in Gujarat. It is among five international heritage sites to be recreated digitally using latest technology in Scotland, UK. The Scottish Ten is an ambitious five-year-project aims to create accurate digital models of Scotland’s five Unesco-designated World Heritage Sites and five international heritage sites in order to help in conservation and management of these sites.
8. According to Representation of People Act, 1951, a candidate contesting Parliamentary poll must forfeit his security deposit if he fails to secure a minimum of __ of total valid votes cast. Fill the blank with correct option?
As per the Representation of People Act, 1951 if the candidate fails to secure a minimum of one-sixth of total valid votes cast, he must forfeit his security deposit.
9. Which among the following countries has won the AFC Women’s Asian Football Cup 2014?
Japan defeated the defending champion Australia 1-0 to won the AFC Women’s Asian Football cup. This is the Japan’s first ever AFC Women’s Asian Cup since its started competing in the event in 1977.
10. As per the latest data which country has replaced Mauritius as the top source of foreign direct investment into India?
Singapore has replace Mauritius as the top source of foreign direct investment into India, according for about 25 per cent of FDI inflows in 2013-14. During the last financial year, India attracted $5.98 billion in FDI from Singapore, whereas it was $4.85 billion from Mauritius, according to the data of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).