GK & Current Affairs: April 16, 17, 2014
1. The MESSENGER is a robotic NASA spacecraft orbiting which among the following planets?
Messenger is a robotic NASA spacecraft orbiting the planet Mercury, the first spacecraft ever to do so. On April 20, 2015, the MESSENGER spacecraft completed its 3,000th orbit of the planet Mercury.
2. The theme of 44th edition of Earth Day is ______?
[C]Plastic free Earth
Earth Day is observed every year on April 22. The theme of Earth Day 2014 is Green Cities.
3. Who among the following is the chairman of the committee appointed by Supreme Court to monitor the steps taken by the centre and state government to ensure road safety and curb growing number of accidents, recently?
[B]Justice Gopal Gowda
[C]Justice Umesh Mukherji
Justice K S Radhakrishnan is the chairman of the committee appointed to monitor the steps taken by the centre and state government to ensure road safety and curb growing number of accidents. The other members comprise of former secretary of ministry S Sundar and Nishi Mittal, ex-chief Scientist
4. What is the name of Robotic submarine deployed to solve the mystery of lost Malaysian plane MH 370?
Bluefin-21 is robotic submarine deployed to solve the mystery of lost Malaysian plane MH370. The Bluefin-21 is about 5m-long underwater autonomous vehicle that can produce a sonar map of the sea floor. It is extremely modular autonomous underwater vehicle with power to carry multiple sensors and playloads at a time.
5. With which one of the following countries India has recently concluded an agreement under Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) to combat tax evasion?
India has reached an in substance agreement with the US to combat possible tax evasion by Americans through Indian financial entities.
6. Recently, an RBI working panel has recommended setting up a Financial Resolution Authority (FRA) to effectively deal with failing financial institution and ensure stability in the system. The chairman of the panel is ___?
[C]K C Chakrabharty
The central bank constituted the working group in January 2013 under the chairmanship of then RBI Deputy Governor Anand Sinha, with economic affairs secretary Arvind Mayaram as co- chairperson. The group recommended that the FRA can be set up by either converting the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DIGCC) or creating a new entity that will subsume the DIGCC.
7. Which among the following is not PKI-enabled electronic payments system introduced by RBI?
MICR is a non-PKI enabled payment system.
8. Superbug MRSA is a highly drug resistant __?
MRSA is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Bacterium.
9. The Chairman of National Water Resource Council of India is ___?
[C]Minister of Agriculture
[D]Minister of water resource
Prime Minister is the chairman of the National Water Resource Council.
10. Which among the following countries proposed an initiative “Maritime Silk Road” to boost connectivity between the Asia-Pacific regions?
China plan to build a “maritime silk road” to boost connectivity between the Asia-Pacific region and establishing ports in the Indian Ocean-a move that will reinforce China’s deepening economic presence in the Indian Ocean region and in India’s neighbourhood.