GK & Current Affairs: June 1, 2014
1. Which among the following is generally known as United Nations refugee agency?
UNHCR or United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees or UN Refugee Agency, is a United Nations agency mandated to protect and support refugees at the request of a government or the UN itself and assists in their voluntary repatriation, local integration or resettlement to a third country. Its headquarters are in Geneva, Switzerland and is a member of the United Nations Development Group. The UNHCR has won two Nobel Peace Prizes, once in 1954 and again in 1981. (From Wikipedia)
2. The people of Hakka-Pikki community are predominantly found in which among the following states of India?
3. Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah, who passed away recently is known for his immense contribution towards which among the following sports?
4. There are some stocks in the stock market which by nature are low-priced, speculative and risky because of their limited liquidity, following and disclosure. What do we call these stocks?
5. Which among the following is the famous folk dance of Bundelkhand?
Badhai is the famous folk dance of Bundelkhand, a region divided between Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. The dance form “Badhai” is performed to express best wishes to all people for their achievements. The majority of the people in Bundelkhand worship Goddess Shitla, during calamities like floods, epidemics people pray to the Goddess for immediate relief and recovery of their beloved. When blessings are showered and wish is fulfilled male and female dance before the Goddess Shitla with a typical rhythm to express their gratitude. The musical instruments used are Dhapla, Timki, Lota, Rantula & Algoja. The tunes are melodious and rhythm is exciting.
6. Which among the following is a direct tax?
[A]VAT paid during purchase of a tyre tube for a vehicle
[B]Service Tax paid while making payments of dinner in a restaurant
[C]Duty paid while importing a machinery from abroad
[D]None of them
None of them
7. On average, what percentage of the Earth’s atmosphere by volume consists of carbon dioxide?
[A]About 4 percent
[B]About 0.4 percent
[C]About 0.04 percent
[D]About 0.004 percent
About 0.04 percent
8. The Wadden Sea Agreement has been concluded for the protection of __:
Agreement on the Conservation of Seals in the Wadden Sea is an agreement between Wadden Sea countries, aimed at protection of seals and concluded in the aegis of Convention on Migratory Species (CMS) in 1990.
9. With reference to the fauna of India, what is Southern Birdwing?
The Southern Birdwing is a large and striking Swallowtail butterfly endemic to Peninsular India. With a wingspan of 140–190 mm, it is the largest butterfly found in southern India. You may note that Grass Jewel is the smallest butterfly of India and Atlas Moth is the largest moth found in India.
10. Which among the following birds has the largest wingspan?
[D]The Black Vulture
Albatrosses are among the largest of flying birds, and the great albatrosses (genus Diomedea) have the largest wingspans of any extant birds, reaching up to 12 feet (3.7 m).
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »