GK & Current Affairs: June 2, 2014
1. Mamnoon Hussain is the current (June 2014) president of __?
2. World’s first complete granite temple is located in which among the following states of India?
The Brihadeeshwar temple at Thanjavur (Tamil Nadu), built by Rajaraja Chola I is the world’s first complete granite temple. Brihadeeshwar temple is the best example of excellent workmanship, grandeur and it has stood the testimony of time with its magnificent central dome which is a great attraction for one and all. The temple has been declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
3. Now a days, Google and other Internet / email services rely on a form of encryption abbreviated as TLS. Which among the following is the correct full form of TLS?
[A]Transport Layer Security
[B]Thread Level Security
[C]Transmission Line Security
[D]Tunnelling Layer Security
Transport Layer Security
Google and other Internet services rely on a form of encryption known as Transport Layer Security, or TLS.
4. The share of deposits that banks must maintain in safe and liquid assets such as government securities, is known as ?
Statutory Liquidity Ratio or SLR is the share of deposits that banks must maintain in safe and liquid assets such as government securities. Recently, RBI has reduced the statutory liquidity ratio (SLR) of scheduled commercial banks by 50 basis points from 23 per cent to 22.5 per cent of their deposits. This will augment the lendable resources of banks.
5. The “Mount Gorichen” is one of the highest peaks of ____?
6. Who among the following has become the first Indian to receive Harvard Medal?
[A]A P J Kalam
Anand G Mahindra, Mahindra Group chairman became the first Indian to receive the prestigious Harvard Medal. He was chosen for this award for his dedication, generosity and service to the university.
7. Recently, India has replaced which one of the following countries to become the second largest exporter of textiles in the world?
India overtook Italy to become the second largest textile exporter in the world. This was revealed by the recent data released by United Nations Comtrade in Global Textiles as well as Apparel Exports. China remains the largest textile exporter in the world.
8. In terms of Geographical area, which among the following is correct rank of newly formed Telangana state among all states of India?
In terms of population and area Telangana is 12th largest state in the country.
9. Which among the following states does not share a border with Telangana?
Telangana is bordered by the states of Maharashtra to the north and north-west, Karnataka to the west, Chhattisgarh to the north-east and Andhra Pradesh to the South and east. It shares a small border with Odisha also.
10. “Gariphema” which has been declared the India’s first ‘tobacco-free village” is located in which state?
Gariphema village in Nagaland has been declared the country’s first “tobacco-free village”. The declaration was made on the occasion of World No Tobacco Day.