GK & Current Affairs: October 1, 2, 2014
1. India recently has ingeniously developed a Broad Spectrum Confocal Microscope. Which of the following is true about the same?
[A]Generates 3D images of objects
[B]Uses an infra red beam which passes through a patented photonic crystal fibre
[C]Optic fibre produces multiple wavelengths from the laser
[D]All of the above
All of the above
Broad Spectrum Confocal Microscope developed by India generates 3D images, uses infra red beam which passes through a patented photonic crystal fibre and due to surface with many small holes, the optic fibre produces multiple wavelengths from the laser.
2. What is the name of the new Marine surveillance satellites to be launched by China in 2019?
China will launch a new “constellation” of marine surveillance satellites in 2019 to monitor ships, oil rigs and marine disasters, amidst a string of raging maritime disputes with its neighbours. The HY-3 “constellation” will include a series of satellites that employ synthetic aperture radar technology, capable of operating day or night and in all weather conditions.
3. World’s oldest figurative art has been recently found in __?
Scientists have found the world’s oldest figurative art in a cave in Indonesia, which is at least 39,900 years old, 900 years prior to the world’s oldest known cave painting, a red disc in Spain.
4. What is the health score of the oceans of the world out of 100, as per the latest Ocean Health Index 2014?
The calculation of the Ocean Health Index for 2014 represents the first year that the Ocean Health Index has calculated a score for the entire global ocean.This year, Antarctica and the Southern Ocean along with the High Seas or Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction (ABNJ) (15 regions as defined by the Food and Agriculture Organization) were also assessed.
5. Who has been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature 2014?
Patrick Modiano has won Nobel Prize for Literature 2014, has published about 30 books. His books are generally short yet fine novels, of 150 pages. Modiano has previously been recognized with some of the most prestigious prizes in French literature, including the Prix Goncourt in 1978.
6. The Central government has announced setting up of Maulana Azad National Academy for Skills (MANAS). Which among the following will be provided by MANAS? 1. Skill enhancement and training for minorities 2. Help people to become self-employed 3. Employment guaranteed after the training Select the correct option from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
Only 1 & 2
The Minister for Minority Affairs, announced the establishment of MANAS. There is no guaranteed employment after the training although, MANAS will collaborate with multiple agencies to provide certification and placement assistance for the trainees.
7. What is the name of the new government programme launched by the Union Textile minister to promote crafts of Jammu and Kashmir especially production of Cashmere fabric?
[A]Pashmina Promotion Programme
[B]Pashmina Wool Development Scheme
[C]Nutrient Supplement Scheme for Changthang goats
[D]Pashmina Development Scheme
Pashmina Promotion Programme
Pashmina Promotion Programme has been launched by the Union Textile Minister to promote Pashmina (Internationally known as Cashmere). The government will give additional financial assistance for improving quality and quantity of pashmina wool as well as living standard of poor nomads of Ladakh region.
8. Which of the following has been organised for the first time in India?
[A]National Mental Health Day
[B]National Tourism Day
[C]National Science Day
[D]National Police Day
National Mental Health Day
Union Health Minister launched the first ever National Mental Health Day. It is an occasion for raising people’s awareness on mental illnesses and removing the false perceptions attached to them. We want a nation that upholds the human rights of mental patients. Also, it will be an occasion to generate awareness against stigmatisation of people with mental illnesses and highlight the symptoms and remedial opportunities for those with depression, schizophrenia, bipolar syndrome etc.
9. Which among the following Bollywood actors has been appointed as the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia?
The Regional Director of UNICEF South Asia, Karin Hulshof, announced the 49-year-old actor as the Goodwill Ambassador.
10. Who has been named as the Most Valued Player of India’s Incheon Asian Games squad?
Mary Kom, who became the first Indian woman boxer to win a gold medal in Asian Games, chosen as the Most Valuable Player of India’s Incheon Asian Games campaign at a felicitation of the medal winners.