GK & Current Affairs: June 18, 19, 2014
1. Beiji oil refinery, which is in news recently, is a largest oil refinery in ____?
Beiji oil refinery, the biggest in Iraq, and has a large power plant. The Beiji refinery accounts for a little more than a quarter of the country’s entire refining capacity all of which goes towards domestic consumption for things like gasoline, cooking oil and fuel for power stations.
2. Who among the following can invest in capital markets in India through Portfolio Investment?
1. Non Resident Indians (NRIs)
2. Foreign Institutional Investments (FIIs)
3. Persons of Indian Origins (PIO)
Chose the correct answer from the option given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
1, 2 & 3
Foreign Institutional Investments (FIIs), Non Resident Indians and Persons of India Origin (PIO) can invest in primary and secondary capital markets in India through Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS).
3. Recently, the RBI has recognized Micro Finance Institution Network (MFIN), as the Self Regulatory organization for NBFC-MFIs. The decision was taken by RBI based on the recommendations made by which committee?
[A]Y H Malegam committee
[B]Parthasarthi Shome committee
Y H Malegam committee
The Reserve Bank of India recognized Micro Finance Institutions Network (MFIN), the industry association for the micro-finance industry, as a self regulatory organization for NBFC-MFIs. The decision was taken by RBI based on the recommendations made by a sub-committee under the chairmanship of Y H Malegam which was formed to study the issues and concerns in the micro- finance sector.
4. The controversial “Yettinahole river diversion project” is related to which state?
The Yettinahole river diversion project is the proposed project of Karnataka government to divert the west-flowing Nethravathi River to the eastern districts of the state. The Yettinahole project envisages diverting 24 TMC feet of water to Kolar and Chickaballapur districts.
5. Which among the following countries has published the world’s first Modern Slavery Bill, recently?
Britain published the world’s first modern slavery bill under which perpetrators of the heinous crime will be jailed for life. The modern slavery bill is the first of its kind in Europe and one of the first in the world, to specifically address slavery and trafficking in the 21st century.
6. Recently, “Felipe VI” has been sworn in as the new king of ____?
7. Who among the following has been selected for the prestigious Moortidevi Award for 2013?
[C]S L Byrappa
[D]U R Anantha Murthy
Eminent Malayalam scientist-turned-writer C Radhakrishnan has been chosen for the prestigious Moortidevi award for 2013 for his novel “Theekkadal Katanhu Thirumadhuram”. The novel is a biological account of Thunchath Ezhuthachan. Moortidevi Award carries a cash prize of Rs 4 lakh, a plaque and a statue of goddess saraswathi.
8. Recently, Indian scientist Sanjaya Rajaram has won the prestigious World Food Prize for 2014 for his contribution to developing high-yield verities of ____?
Indian scientist Sanjaya Rajaram has won the prestigious World Food Prize, considered the Nobel Prize of food and agriculture, for 2014 for his contribution to developing high-yield wheat cultivars Kauz and Attila. Rajaram is the seventh Indian to win the prize, instituted by agriculture scientist Norman E Borlaug in 1986.
9. The “Yudh Abhyas” is a counter terrorism joint military exercise between India and ____?
The Yudh Abhyas is a biggest ever joint military exercise between India and United States. About 250 soldiers from both sides each will train in Uttarkhand under the theme Counter terrorism operations in mountain terrain under the UN charter.
10. Who among the following has won the FIDE World Rapid Chess championship title, recently?
World number one chess player Magnus Carlesen has won the FIDE World Rapid Chess championship title in Dubai.