GK & Current Affairs: June 12, 13, 2014
1. Recently, India has become the permanent signatory of the Washington Accord. This accord is an international accreditation agreement for which among the following types of educational degrees?
[A]Arts and Humanities
Washington Accord is an international accreditation agreement for professional engineering academic degrees, between the bodies responsible for accreditation in its signatory countries. Established in 1989, the signatories as of 2014 are Australia, Canada, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong China, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States. (from Wikipedia)
2. Khagen Mahanta was a famous music composer and singer of which among the following languages?
Khagen Mahanta, who recently died was an Assamese singer and musician; and was known as “Bihu Samrat” or “King of Bihu”. He picked up Bihu songs from the rural areas and presented them to the modern stage in his own inimitable way. Bhupen Hazarika called him Bihu-samrat. Khagen’s position in Assamese music is thought to be only next to the legendary Bhupen Hazarika.
3. Which among the following dams of India is world’s second largest concrete gravity dam (by volume) ?
[C]Sardar Sarovar Dam
Sardar Sarovar Dam
Sardar Sarovar Dam near Nevagram in Gujarat is world’s second largest concrete gravity dam (by volume) after Grand Coulee Dam in the US and has world’s third largest spillway discharging capacity. Gujarat Government recently got final approval to raise by about 17 metres the height of Sardar Sarovar dam to 138 meters. The dam, whose foundation stone was laid by Jawaharlal Nehru on April 5, 1961, was marred by controversies and agitations.
4. In 2013, which among the following committees had submitted a report on “ease of doing business”?
[A] M Damodaran Committee
[B]K V Kamath Committee
[C]Anand Mahindra Committee
[D]Y C Deveshwar Committee
M Damodaran Committee
5. The Unified Command was constituted to __:
[A]Protect the land borders
[B]Protect the coastal borders
[C]Control the Left Wing Extremism
[D]Control Money Laundering
Control the Left Wing Extremism
6. Who among the following is the new CEO of Infosys?
[A]N. S. Raghavan
Vishal Sikka, a former SAP AG executive board member was on June 11 appointed as Infosys’ Chief Executive Officer and MD. With his appointment, Sikka becomes the first non-founder CEO of Infosys. Sikka will take over from S D Shibulal on August 1, 2014.
7. Which among the following sportsmen is not related to shooting?
Jayanta Talukdar is an archer. Rest three recently participated in World Cup Shooting.
8. The Kholongchu Hydropower Project is a joint venture project between the two companies of India and __?
In the recent journey to Bhutan, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the 600 mw Kholongchu Hydropower Project, which is a joint venture project between the Indian and Bhutanese public sector units SJVNL and Druk Green Power Corporation. The construction of the project, which is located in Trashiyangtse in eastern Bhutan, will commence later in 2014.
9. The All India coordinated Cotton Improvement Project (AICCIP) of Indian Council of Agricultural Research is located at __?
Central Institute for Cotton Research (CICR) is at Nagpur and All India coordinated Cotton Improvement Project (AICCIP) is at Coimbatore.
10. Which among the following is world’s largest Coconut producing country?
Share of India in world production of coconut is 26.34% and is highest.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|