GK & Current Affairs: May 4, 5, 2014
1. What is the name of India’s own card payment network that has been dedicated to the nation, recently?
India’s own card payment network “RuPay” has been dedicated to the nation. The RuPay card is accepted at all ATMs, PoS terminals and most of the eCom merchants in the country.
2. The “Moei” River marks the national boundary between which of the following countries?
[A]Thailand and Myanmar
[B]India and Bhutan
[C]Thailand and Singapore
[D]France and Germany
Thailand and Myanmar
The Moei River is a tributary of the Salween River. The Moei River forms the natural boarder line between Thailand and Myanmar.
3. The “African Sleeping Sickness” is a vector-borne disease spread by __?
African sleeping sickness or also called Human African trypanosomiasis is vector-borne disease and spread through the bite of the Tsetse fly.
4. According to latest report, which among the following states has reported highest tiger mortality rate in the country?
Tamil Nadu has reported highest tiger mortality with six tigers deaths have been reported each month since the beginning of this year. After Tamil Nadu, tiger mortality was higher in MP (4) and Uttarkhand (3).
5. The largest Lok Sabha constituency in India in terms of area is _____?
Ladakh (173266.37 sq.km) is the India’s largest Lok Sabha constituency in terms of area.
6. Which of the following organisation gives out the “Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize” every year?
Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom award was established on the initiative of UNESCO’s Executive Board and is formally confirmed by the Director General of the Organisation, on the occasion of World Press Freedom Day, on May 3rd. The Prize is named in honor of Guillerno Cano Isaza, a Colombian journalist who was assassinated in front of office of his newspaper, El Espectator, in Bogota, on 17 December 1986.
7. What is the code name given for the military exercise conducted by the India Army in the desert of Rajasthan, recently?
8. The eastern swamp deer, one of the three endangered deer species existing in the world found only in ____?
[A]Manasa Wildlife Sanctuary
[B]Kaziranga National Park
[C]Nagarahole Wildlife Sanctuary
[D]Kanha National Park
Kaziranga National Park
The eastern swamp deer is one of three endangered deer species existing in the world found only in Kaziranga National Park.
9. As per the new study conducted by the World Health Organisation (WHO), which Indian city is considered to be most polluted in the world?
According to a new study conducted by the WHO, India’s national capital Delhi is most polluted city in the world. As per various studies conducted, air pollution is the fifth largest killer in India. WHO has measured that Delhi has the highest concentration of PM 2.5 particulate matters less than 2.5 microns form of air pollution, which is considered most serious.
10. Recently, the Supreme Court has passed a judgment banning “Jallikattu”, a rural sport of taming bulls practiced in ___?
Jallikattu is an adventure sport involving taming bulls, held in Tamil Nadu as part of Pongal celebrations on Mattu Pongal Day.