GK & Current Affairs: June 16, 17, 2014
1. Recently, Australia has won the 2014 Men’s Hockey World Cup Title by defeating ____?
Australia won their third men’s hockey World Cup title, defeating the Netherlands by 6-1 in the final match. This was Australia’s third title after victories in 1986 and 2010.
2. Recently, which among the following banks has organised “The Banking and Economics Conclave 2014” a national level banking conclave for the first time?
[A]State Bank of India
[C]State Bank of Mysore
State Bank of India
The country’s largest lender State Bank of India was organised the “Banking and Economics Conclave 2014” a national level banking conclave for the first time by bringing together RBI and stakeholders to a common platform in order to discuss state of the economy and the banking sector.
3. The official Mascot of the 2014 FIFA World Cup is _____?
Fuleco the Armadillo is the official mascot of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. It is a Brazilian three-banded armadillo, a species of armadillo which is native to Brazil and categorized as Vulnerable species on the IUCN Red list.
4. Who among the following has been chosen as the next United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights by the U.N General Assembly?
[A]Prince Zeid al Hussein
[C]San Antonio Spurs
Prince Zeid al Hussein
Prince Zeid al Hassein of Jordan has been chosen as the next UN High Commissioner for Human Rights by the UN General Assembly. He is a long-time diplomat and former U.N peacekeeper and will take over from Navi Pillay as UN High Commissioner for Human Rights on 1 September 2014.
5. “Petro Poroshenko” who is often called “The Chocolate King” is President of which country?
Petro Poroshenko is current President to Ukraine. He is often called “The Chocolate King” because of the fortune he made as a confectionary tycoon. He replaces Oleksandr Turchynov, who served as interim president of the Ukraine.
6. The “Phangan Island” known for its famous full moon party is located in ____?
Ko Pha Ngan or Phangan is an island in the Gulf of Thailand in South East Thailand. It is famous for its full moon party at Haad Rin Beach and as a backpacker’s destination.
7. According to Assocham studies, which among the following states has been emerging as a major destination for domestic tourists?
A study by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham) found that Madhya Pradesh has been emerging as a major destination for domestic tourists, leaving other states far behind. The domestic tourist arrival in the state has grown at a staggering compounded annual growth (CAG) rate of 381 per cent between 2006 and 2012. Maharashtra came a distant second with CAG of 293 per cent followed by Tamil Nadu.
8. Thomas Mueller, who scored the first hat-trick of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, represents which country?
Germany’s Thomas Mueller became the first hat-trick of the 2014 FIFA World Cup against Portugal.
9. In which among the following countries Asia’s first solar-wind power system has been inaugurated recently?
Asia’s first solar-wind power system has been inaugurated in Nepal. The project, completed under Asian Development Bank’s regional technical assistance was part of the bank’s Energy for All initiative that supports increasing access to energy in remote rural areas. The project will provide electricity services to 55 rural households of Dhuabadi village of western Nepal.
10. Nagarjun-Shrisailam Tiger reserve, the largest tiger reserve of India, spans across which two states?
[A]Maharashtra and Goa
[B]Karnataka and Kerala
[C]Telangana and Andhra Pradesh
[D]Odisha and Jharkhand
Telangana and Andhra Pradesh
The area of this tiger reserve is in both Telangana (Mahbubnagar and Nalgonda) + Seemandhra (Telangana , Kurnool, Guntur and Prakasam)