GK & Current Affairs: June 20, 2014
1. Kedarnath Singh, who has been chose for the prestigious Jnanpith award for 2013 is a famous writer in ____?
Noted Hindi poet Kedarnath sigh has been chosen for the prestigious Jnanpith Award. Singh is the 10th Hindi writer to receive the honour. He will be the recipient of the 49th Jnanpith award.
2. According to current estimates, approximately what percent of the world’s proven oil reserves are located in OPEC member countries?
3. ISRO has planning to launch five foreign satellites under commercial agreements. Which of the following satellites name and their country pair is not correct?
[A]SPOT-7 – Singapore
[B]AISAT – Germany
[C]VELOX-1 – Singapore
[D]CAN-X5 – Brazil
CAN-X5 – Brazil
ISRO has planned to launch five foreign satellites under commercial agreements on June 30. The indigenous PSLV-c23 rocket will carry a 714 kg French Earth observation satellite SPOT-7 as the main payload. It will also carry AISAT of Germany, CAN-X4 & CAN-X5 of Canada and VELOX-1 of Singapore.
4. The “City of Potosi” which has been recently inscribed on the list of World Heritage in Danger is in ____?
The world heritage committee meeting in Doha inscribed the City of Potosi on the list of world heritage in danger. It is one of the highest cities in the world by elevation at a nominal 4,090 meters.
5. The ISIS or ISIL is an Islamic militant group which is at the centre of ongoing crisis in ____?
The ISIS is a Sunni militant group, an al Qaeda inspired group, which aims to establish a caliphate (an Islamic State) in the Sunni majority regions of Iraq, later expanding this to include Syria.
6. As per the latest report by Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) India has been ranked 143 among 162 countries in Peace Index. According to the report the biggest threats to India’s internal security is ___?
Maoist movement was one of the biggest threats to India’s internal security according to Institute for Economics and Peace which has ranked it as low as 143 among 162 countries in its peace index.
7. The “Cerro Rico” mountain in Bolivia is world famous for its huge deposit of ____?
The Cerro Rico Mountain or the Rich hill in Bolivia is well famous for its Silver deposit.
8. Consider the following International treaties:
1. United Nations Conventions on Transnational Organized Crime
2. SAARC Convention on Trafficking in Women and Children
3. Global Plan of Action to Combat Trafficking in Persons
India has ratified which of above International treaties on human trafficking?
[B]Only 1 & 2
[C]Only 2 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
Only 1 & 2
9. As per the RBI latest decision residents and non residents can carry up to Rs ___ in Indian currency notes while leaving the country. Fill the blank with correct option?
The Reserve Bank of India permitted residents and non-residents, except Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, to carry up to Rs 25,000 in Indian currency notes while leaving the country. Earlier, Indians travelling abroad were permitted to carry only up to Rs 10,000, while foreigners were not a;;owed to carry Indian currency while leaving the country.
10. The “Bombay Samachar”, Asia’s oldest newspaper publishes news in which languages?
[A]Hindi and Marathi
[B]Gujarati and English
[C]Gujarati and Hindi
[D]Hindi and English
Gujarati and English