GK & Current Affairs: June 8, 9, 2014
1. In which year India hosted Asian Games for the first time?
Delhi has hosted the Asian Games twice — the first edition in 1951 and the 9th edition in 1982.
2. The “Street Art Project” is a cultural initiative of __?
Google’s Paris-based Cultural Institute has created a database called the Street Art Project. Using images provided by cultural organisations, it includes street art from around the globe like the ‘5Pointz’ murals or the walls of the Paris 13 tower in France.
3. Which among the following is NOT an autonomous region in Mainland China?
[A] Inner Mongolia
China has five autonomous regions viz. Guangxi, Inner Mongolia, Ningxia, Tibet Autonomous Region and Xinjiang. Special Administrative Regions are also autonomous territories that fall within the sovereignty of the People’s Republic of China, yet do not form part of Mainland China. At present, there are two SARs, namely the Hong Kong SAR and the Macau SAR.
4. Which among the following is NOT chemical substance of daily use?
Yellowcake is a kind of uranium concentrate powder obtained from leach solutions, in an intermediate step in the processing of uranium ores.
5. The Avadhuta Gita, which is based on the principles of Advaita Vedanta, is ascribed to __?
[D]None of the above
Apart from Avadhoot Geeta, Dattatreya is also credited as the author of the Tripura Rahasya, a treatise on Advaita Vedanta.
6. Which among the following is commonly known as blue sheep?
Common name of Bharal is Blue sheep or Himalayan blue sheep or naur. It is found in high Himalayas of Nepal, Tibet, China, India, Pakistan, and Bhutan.
7. In which state is located the Kuno Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary, which is expected to become the second home of the Asiatic Lion, which are currently only found in Gujarat’s Gir National Park?
8. Iran is currently in negotiations with the so called P5+1 group over its nuclear programme. Which among the following country is denoted here as +1?
The P5+1 group include the five permanent UN Security Council members Britain, China, France, Russia and the US, plus Germany.
9. Which among the following is NOT a site of Information Technology Investment Regions?
The current locations of ITIRs include Bangalore, Bubneshwar, Chennai and Hyderabad.
10. Which among the following are two largest Soya producing states of India?
[A]Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra
[B]Gujarat and Maharashtra
[C]Karnataka and Tamil Nadu
[D]Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra
Currently, soya bean cultivation is confined largely to Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra, which together account for over 85 per cent of the total output. In fact, Madhya Pradesh alone accounts for nearly 60 per cent of production
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|