GK & Current Affairs: December 28, 29, 2014
1. Nand Chaturvedi, who passed away recently, was a famous poet in which language?
Nand Chaturvedi was a noted Hindi poet and a litterateur. Some of his popular works include, ‘Yeh Samai Mamuli Nahin’, ‘Shabd Sansar ki Yayavaria, collection of essays, ‘Imandar Dunya Ke Liye’ among others. He was given Bihari Puraskar of K K Birla Foundation in for his poem ‘Yeh Samai mamuli nahin’, apart from this, he also received Prasaran Sanmaan by Prasar Bharati. He was given Sahitya Vachaspati award, a top literary honour of Prayag Hindi Sahitya Sammelan.
2. Which among the following is/are the member countries of the Eurasian Economic Union (EEU)? 1. Belarus 2. Russia 3. Kazakhstan 4. China Choose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 3
[B]Only 1, 3 & 4
[C]Only 1, 2 & 3
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
Only 1, 2 & 3
The Eurasian Economic Union (EEU) will be an economic union of states located primarily in northern Eurasia. The treaty establishing the Eurasian Economic Union was formally signed by three states which were part of the former Soviet Union: Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Russia. An agreement to enlarge the EEU to Armenia was later signed, with Kyrgyzstan planning to sign an accession agreement on December 23.
3. What is the codename of the military action launched against the Bodo militants in Assam, recently?
[A]Operation Green Hunt
[B]Operation All Out
[C]Operation All Clear
[D]Operation Bodo Suppress
Operation All Out
In the aftermath of massacre of tribals by Bodo militants, Indian Army has started the “Operation All Out” which involves coordinated action with armies of Bhutan and Myanmar to hunt the militants.
4. Which among the following states has decided to implement a Potato Mission from 2015-16 to make state self sufficient in Potato production?
Odisha government has decided to launch the state potato mission from 2015-16 fiscal years. The main idea of the move is to make the State self-sufficient in production and storage of potato in the coming three years. Under the mission the state aims to expand the potato cultivation in 60,000 hectares over three years to achieve the targeted production of 11.25 lakh tonnes by 2017-18.
5. Currently, which among the following is the only country in the world that produces purple tea?
Currently, Kenya is the only country that produces unique purple tea in the world and has established both a domestic as well as export market. The purple tea fetches three to four times the price of black tea. In India Assam has the tremendous potential to produce purple tea.
6. In India, the Eastern swamp deer (Rucervus duvaucelii ranjitsinhi), is currently found only in ____?
[A]Manas National Park
[B]Kaziranga National Park
[C]Namdapha National Park
[D]Wandur National Park
Kaziranga National Park
The eastern swamp deer, a sub-species of the swamp deer, is restricted only to Kaziranga National Park. Found in Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Pakistan, the swamp deer has now been declared extinct in Bangladesh and Pakistan.
7. The “Maitri Missile Project” is a proposed joint defense missile programme between India and which country?
Maitri is an Indo-French surface-to-air missile systems project that was initiated in 2007 with an MOU between DRDO and France’s MBDA. However, no progress has been made so far in this direction because it was later felt that this requirement could be met by India’s indigenous Akash surface-to-air missile weapon system.
8. The “Aichi Targets” are related to _____?
[A]Conservation of Biodiversity
[B]Conservation of Wetlands
[C]Conservation of Coral reefs
[D]Prevention of Plastic use
Conservation of Biodiversity
The Aichi Targets are a set of 20, time-bound, measureable targets for the conservation of biodiversity. The targets were agreed by the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity in Nagoya, Japan, in October 2010. Achievement of the targets will contribute to reducing, and eventually halting, the loss of biodiversity at a global level by the middle of the twenty-first century.
9. Which among the following states is the venue for the National Biodiversity Conference-2015?
The National Biodiversity Conference-2015 will be held in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala from 23rd to 27th February. National Biodiversity Conference 2015 (Biodiversity – Access and Benefit Sharing) is being organized as the most important biodiversity mega event of India, under the auspices of MoEF and National Biodiversity Authority and all other organisations involved in conservation and promotion of biodiversity in the country.
10. The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival is associated with which one of the following cities?
The Kala Ghoda festival is a most prominent cultural event in Mumbai. The nine-day long festival is a prominent attraction for thousands of visitors from all over the country as well as from the world. Kala Ghoda festival is held annually in the months of January or February.