GK & Current Affairs: November 7-9, 2014
1. What is the name of the new drug developed by scientists recently as an alternative to antibiotics?
As the conventional antibiotics are losing their effectiveness against infections, scientists have developed the first drug as an alternative to antibiotics. The name of the drug is Staphefekt. It is claimed to be helpful in battle against the Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) superbug.
2. Which city has recorded largest number of internet users in India in 2014?
Mumbai has recorded the largest number of internet users in India in 2014 as per a study conducted by Internet and Mobile Association of India. Top 8 cities are: Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Pune.
3. Which among the following Indian carriers has banned shipment of Shark fins as a measure to protect declining shark populations?
Jet Airways has banned the shipment of Shark fins to protect the declining shark populations. Sharks are an integral part of marine ecosystems and finning has led to massive reductions in their populations.
4. The winner of 2013-14 European Golden Boot award is __?
Cristiano Ronaldo received 2013-14 European Golden Boot award for being joint top-goal scorer in last season in Europe along with Luis Suarez, hitting 31 goals.
5. The Montreal Protocol calls for __?
[A]Phasing out of CFCs and HFCs
[B]Phasing out of CFCs and replacing them with HFCs
[C]Phasing out of HFCs and replacing them with CFCs
[D]Phasing out of CFCs & HFCs and replacing them with HCFCs
Phasing out of CFCs and replacing them with HFCs
The Montreal Protocol is the UN-sponsored agreement concerned with protecting ozone layer, under which the consumption and production of chlorofluorocarbons was phased out and substituted by HFCs.
6. Which among the following ports is being developed by India?
China is building of port projects in Gwadar (Pakistan), Hambantota (Sri Lanka) and Chittagong (Bangladesh) respectively.
7. Which among the following treaties pertains to protection of the Olympic Symbol?
It is Nairobi Treaty on the Protection of the Olympic Symbol.
8. The Contingent Reserve Arrangement (CRA) pertains to which among the following organizations?
The CRA is a framework for the provision to support member countries through liquidity and precautionary instruments in response to actual or potential short-term balance of payments pressures.
9. Which among the following cricketer is referred to as “The Don” ?
Sir Donald George Bradman was an Australian cricketer. He is often referred to as The Don and widely acknowledged as the greatest Test batsman of all time. Bradman’s career Test batting average of 99.94 is often cited as the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport. In the 1949 he was made a Knight Bachelor for his services to the game of Cricket, becoming the only Australian cricketer ever to be knighted.
10. Which among the following countries has the highest ranking in the Worlds Bank ‘Ease of Doing Business’ 2015?