GK & Current Affairs: July 2, 2014
1. Recently, Indian Air Force has launched its first 3D mobile game to encourage youths to join the Air Force. The name of the game is _____?
[A]Sky is the Limit
[B]Guardians of the Sky
Guardians of the Sky
The Indian Air Force has launched its first 3D mobile game “Guardians of the Sky” which is aimed at children between ages 14 and 18 and to encourage them to join the Air Force. The game offers missions and the player will undergo experiences as close as possible to a real briefing before every mission, war-like situation, search and rescue operation and all defence of the nation against a fictional enemy country.
2. Which among the following states has declared Camel as state animal, recently?
The Rajasthan government declared the camel as the state animal. The move aims to check the dwindling number of camels.
3. Who among the following is the chairman of the committee that has been set up recently to develop a road map for fuel efficiency norms for heavy duty vehicles?
The government has constituted a high-level committee to develop fuel economy norms for heavy duty vehicles. The committee, to be headed by Rajive Kumar, additional secretary in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas will develop a road map for fuel efficiency norms for heavy duty vehicles (trucks and buses) in India.
4. What is the name of NASA’s first satellite launched to measure the carbon dioxide in the environment?
NASA has launched its first satellite to measure carbon dioxide, Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2. The OCO-2, is expected to provide an insight into how the planet adjusts to the increased production of carbon dioxide from a vantage point in orbit that will allow it to take readings on a scale never achieved before.
5. Which among the following national parks is home to the endangered saltwater crocodile?
[A]Bhitarkanika National Park
[B]Nagarahole National Park
[C]Kanha National Park
[D]Namdapha National Park
Bhitarkanika National Park
6. The “Bor Wildlife Sanctuary” which has become the country’s 47th Tiger Reserve is located in ____?
Bor Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Maharashtra. The Environment ministry has notified the Bor Wildlife Sanctuary as a tiger reserve with an aim to strengthen the conservation efforts of the national animal. It will be the country’s 47th Tiger reserve.
7. The Operation Zarb-e-Azb which is news recently, is a military operation against the armed insurgent groups in which country?
The Operation Zarb-e-Azab is a joint military offensive operation involving the Islamic Republic of Pakistan against armed insurgent groups such as the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan, al-Qaeda, ETIM. The operation was launched by the Pakistan Armed Force on 15 June 2014.
8. Which among the following countries has become the first to ratify the Marrakesh Treaty to facilitate access to published works for persons who are visually impaired or otherwise printed disabled?
India has become the first country to ratify the Marrakesh Treaty to facilitate access to published works for persons who are visually impaired or otherwise printed disabled. The treaty was adopted by 79 member countries of the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) on June 27, 2013 and India ratified it on June 24, 2014. The treaty will come into force once 20 countries ratify it.
9. The Lasalgaon town which is known as Asia’s largest Onion market is located in _____?
Lasalgaon is a town in Nashik district of Maharashtra. It is Asia’s largest onion market. The onions from Lasalgaon market are transported to many places in India and exported to many countries in the world. It is also known as wine manufacturing city.
10. According to tourism ministry data, which state has topped the list of states in terms of number of domestic tourist visits during 2013?
According to tourism ministry data, the number of domestic tourist visits to states/Uts was 1,145 million in 2013, compared to 1,045 million in 2012, registering a growth of 20.9% in 2012 over 2011. The top four states in terms of number of domestic tourist’s visits during 2013 were Tamil Nadu (244.2), Uttar Pradesh (226.5), Andhra Pradesh (152.1) and Karnataka (98.0).