GK & Current Affairs: September 9, 10, 2014
1. Who among the following is first Spaniard to win World Badminton Championship?
[A]Yoana Martinez Barbero
Carolina Marin became the first Spaniard to win World Badminton Championship held at Denmark. She defeated World number One Li Xuerui of China.
2. Which Committee has been appointed by the central government to study and recognize obsolete laws?
Ramanujam committee will identify the laws which effectively hamper governance by creating avoidable confusion.
3. Which among the following committees has recently submitted its interim report on women safety?
[A]Justice C.S. Dharmadhikari Committee
[B]Justice V. Ramaswami Committee
[C]Justice J.M. Shelat Committee
[D]Justice R.S. Bachawat Committee
Justice C.S. Dharmadhikari Committee
Justice C.S. Dharmadhikari Committee has recommended Maharashtra Government to enforce an absolute ban on dance bars in state to reduce attacks on women and crime rate.
4. Which of the following became the second longest running reactor in the world?
[A]Unit 2 of Tarapur Atomic Power Station
[B]Unit 5 of Rajasthan Atomic Power Station
[C]Unit 2 of Kakrapar Atomic Power Station
[D]Unit 5 of Madras Atomic Power Station
Unit 5 of Rajasthan Atomic Power Station
Unit 5 of Rajasthan Atomic Power Station is the second longest running reactor in the world is a 220 MW Pressurised Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR).
5. Which Indian player has been selected by International Tennis Federation for Davis Cup Commitment Award?
Rohan Bopanna has been selected for the prestigious awards. The award is given to players who have shown remarkable play and a relentless struggle to represent their country in the competition.
6. What is the name of the recently discovered dinosaur who is now said to be more aquatic than terrestrial?
The bones of Spinosaurus aegyptiacus has been recently discovered which have revealed that the creature spent more time under water than on land. It showed some exciting aquatic adaptations.
7. Who was the chairman of the Union Powers Committee of the Constituent Assembly?
[A]Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
Jawaharlal Nehru was the chairman of the Union Powers Committee. It was one of the eight major committees formed in the Constituent Assembly of India.
8. Who among the following has won the Naad Bhed Yuva Puraskar for 2014?
18-year-old Bangalorean, violinist Apoorva Krishna has won the Naad Bhed Yuva Puraskar (Carnatic music-Instrumental) at the Naad Bhed National Music Competitions which are conducted by Spic-Macay and Doordarshan.
9. The objective of the recently launched “Reefer Vehicle Call-in-Centre Scheme” is to ___?
[A]Provide boost to automobile sector
[B]Evaluate the safety of different vehicles in the country
[C]Smooth transportation of perishable goods
[D]None of the above
Smooth transportation of perishable goods
Reefer Vehicle Call-in-Centre Scheme was launched by the Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh for smooth transportation of perishable goods. This will also involve creation of a database of bottlenecks experienced during the transport.
10. According to a recent WHO which country recorded the highest rate of Child Marriages?
According to the WHO report, the highest number of child marriages were seen in Bangladesh followed by India and Nepal. In Bangladesh about two-thirds girls are married before the age of 18.