GK & Current Affairs : April 12-13, 2014
1. The MENAP region consists of Middle East, North Africa and ___?
[A]Afghanistan and Pakistan
[B]Algeria and Poland
[C]Argentina and Pakistan
[D]Albania and Poland
Afghanistan and Pakistan
The International Monetary Fund created a new analytical region called MENAP which adds Afghanistan and Pakistan to MENA (Middle East and North Africa) countries
2. According to new companies act, the Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs) have to invest what fraction of their resources in government bonds. Fill the blank with correct option?
The new companies act mandates the non-banking finance companies (NBFC) to invest fifteen percent of their resources in government bonds.
3. The Pulitzer Prize for Fiction-2014 has been awarded to Donna Tartt, for her novel ___?
[B]The Woman Who Lost Her Soul
[D]The Secret History
2014’s Pulitzer Prize for Fiction has been awarded to Donna Tartt, for her latest novel The Goldfinch. Tartt epic triumphed over the two other nominees, The Son by Philip Meyer and The Woman Who Lost Her Soul by Bob Shacochis.
4. The “Bima Bemisaal” is the name of insurance awareness campaign by __?
[A]LIC of India Ltd
Bima Bemisaal is the brand name for IRDA’s insurance awareness campaign. It is a consumer education initiative and has the tagline “Promoting Insurance, Protecting Insured”.
5. Which among the following two states together account for about half of the total mangoes being produced in India?
[A]Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka
[B]Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh
[C]Andhra Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh
[D]Karnataka and Maharashtra
Andhra Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh together account for about half of the total mangoes being produced in India with both the states accounting for almost similar share of over 24% each.
6. Which among the following has been named 2014 world car of the year?
Audi A3 has been named 2014 world car of the year, which fought off competition from the Mazda3 and BMW 4 series.
7. Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who passed away recently, was a famous novelist from ___?
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screen writer and journalist, known affectionately as Gabo throughout Latin America.
8. Due to lack of funds, which among the following countries has withdrawn as the host of the 2019 Asian Games?
Vietnam has withdrawn as the host of the 2019 Asian Games saying it lacked funds and the country’s reputation could be at risk if the event flops.
9. Which among the following is not a correct match:
[A]Cortes Generales ↔ Spain
[C]Riksdag ↔ Switzerland
[D]Verkhovna Rada ↔ Ukraine
Riksdag ↔ Switzerland
Riksdag is the national legislative assembly and the supreme decision-making body of Sweden
10. Graphene is an ___?
[A]Allotrope of Carbon
[B]Isotrope of Carbon
[C]Isomer of Carbon
[D]Isotope of Carbon
Allotrope of Carbon
The allotropes of carbon include diamond, graphite, graphene and fullerenes etc.