GK & Current Affairs: September 7, 8, 2014
1. LASIK surgery is gaining widespread popularity and acceptance by people who are not friendly with the eye-glasses. What is the full form of LASIK?
[A]Laser-Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis
[B]Laser-Assayed In-Situ Keratomileusis
[C]Laser-Assisted Inhibited Keratomileusis
[D]Laser-Assayed Inhibited Keratomileusis
Laser-Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis
Laser-Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis is gaining acceptance amongst commoners as the best alternative to contact lens or glasses. It is useful against myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism and helps in their correction.
2. Which day was declared as the Himalaya Diwas by the Uttarakhand government?
September 09 was decided to be a day which would be celebrated across the State to promote conservation of the Himalayan ecosystems, the alteration of which have resulted in some of the worst weather calamities in the state.
3. “Arka Rakshak” is a famous variety of __?
Arka Rakshak is a famous tomato variety of Bangalore which has gone global and will be exported to 7 countries. Vietnam, the Netherlands, Mauritius, Zimbabwe, South Africa, the U.S. and Pakistan have sent requests for the sale of the variety in their lands.
4. Vijay Dutt Shridhar has won the first prize of the Bharatendu Harishchandra Awards for 2011 for his manuscript __:
[B]Television ki Bhasha
[C]Aurat ki Boli
[D]Maine Awaaz ko Dekha
Ministry for Information & Broadcasting have given out the Bhartendu Harishchandra Awards for the years 2011 and 2012 on September 9, 2014. The Bharatendu Harishchandra awards were started by the Publications Division annually since 1983.
5. Which Union Ministry has recently launched the Know Your Rights Portal recently?
[B]Women and Child Development
[C]Law and Justice
Civil Aviation ministry has launched a new portal namely ‘Know your rights’ for passengers. It defines the rights of passengers in situations of delays, cancellations, baggage issues etc.
6. First women’s court in India was set up in which among the following states?
India’s first women’s court was inaugurated in Malda in West Bengal in January 2013.
7. Jose Graziano da Silva is a famous agronomist and writer from __?
Jose Graziano da Silva was given the award in recognition of his efforts to promote food security in Brazil through the Zero Hunger Programme. He is the 15th person to receive Doctor Honoris Causa award by IARI and NAAS in September 2014.
8. Consider the following pairs: 1. Dholera ↔ Gujarat 2. Shendra-Bidkin ↔ Maharashtra 3. Vikram Udyogpuri ↔ Madhya Pradesh Which among the above is / are correct pairs?
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
1, 2 & 3
With the assistance of Japan, India is developing industrial cities at Dholera in Gujarat and Shendra-Bidkin in Maharashtra, and integrated industrial townships at Greater Noida in Uttar Pradesh and Vikram Udyogpuri near Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh.
9. Dr. Noel W. Hinners, a former Chief Scientist of NASA has recently passed away. What is the name of the space program on which he had worked extensively and given significant contributions?
Dr. Hinners gave his valuable contribution in in the scientific exploration of the moon for the Apollo program and later oversaw projects such as the Mars Surveyor Program. He worked on Apollo program till 1972.
10. Which Indian movie has been awarded the Lion of the Future -Luigi De Laurentiis award for a Debut Feature at the 71st Venice Film Festival?
Court- written and directed by Indian writer Chaitanya Tamhane has bagged the prestigious honour on Sept. 7, 2014. The movie has successfully brought out the narrative style in a multilingual courtroom drama.