GK & Current Affairs: October 13, 14, 2014
1. The birth anniversary of which freedom fighter has been decided to be celebrated as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas(RED) or National Integration Day?
[B]Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru
[C]Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
[D]Gopal Krishan Gokhale
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
The government has decided to celebrate the 139th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on October 31st every year. RED will be an occasion to strengthen and re-affirm national unity and resilience.
2. Which Indian player has been recently suspended by International boxing Federation?
The International Boxing Association Executive Committee Bureau has decided to provisionally suspend L.Sarita Devi and her coaches Messrs Gurbaksh Singh Sandhu, Blas Iglesias Fernandez and Sagar Mal Dhayal as well as Indian Chef-de-mission in the Incheon Asian Games, Adille J. Sumariwalla until further notice.
3. Recently, the launch of GSAT-16 has been advanced by 6 months. Which among the following satellites will be replaced by GSAT-16?
GSAT-16, the next national communications satellite will replace INSAT-3E, which expired a little prematurely in April, at the same 55 degrees east orbital slot over India. The 3,150-kg satellite is scheduled to be flown on an Ariane-5 launcher numbered Flight VA221. It will be put in orbit along with DIRECTV-14, a satellite that will provide direct-to-home television broadcasts across the U.S.
4. Which country is the single largest troop contributor to UN peacekeeping operations?
India is the single largest troop contributor to UN peacekeeping operations. It has asked UN to highlight peacekeeping stories and provide accurate, impartial and timely information on the activities of UN peace-keepers.
5. Recently, which among the following cyclones that hit India, had originated due to upper-air cyclonic circulation in the Andaman Sea?
The cyclonic storm Hudhud is the most destructive cyclone to hit India ever. Its name is derived from the bird Hoopoe which is known as Hudhud in Qatar. It is the strongest storm of 2014. It happened due to upper-air cyclonic circulation in the Andaman Sea.
6. Which among the following government schemes had been launched on the birth anniversary of Jai Prakash Narayan?
[A]Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
[B]Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
[C]Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
[D]Digital India Mission
Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
Jayprakash Narayan was born on 11 October 1902 Chhapra district of Bihar. On his recent birth anniversary, Prime Minister Modi launched Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana. The scheme will be implemented under the supervision of Union Ministry for Rural Development.
7. Which fund will be mobilised to successfully implement Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana?
[A]Consolidated Fund of India
[B]Contingency Fund of India
Under the scheme Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana, MPLADS will be available to fill important financial gaps in implementation of the same. The scheme is to channelize community participation.
8. India has recently become the first South-Asian country to put a ban under Rule 135-B on __?
[A]Animal tested drugs
[B]Animal skin bags
[C]Animal tested cosmetics
[D]Animal skin clothing
Animal tested cosmetics
India has become the first South-Asian country to ban the animal-tested cosmetics under Rule 135-B which states that prohibition of import of cosmetics tested on animals after the commencement of Drugs and Cosmetics (Fifth Amendment) Rules, 2014.
9. Recently, five Indian companies made it to the CDP Climate Performance Leadership Index 2014 as a recognition of their efforts to mitigate climate change. Which is not a part of them?
[B]Larsen & Toubro
[C]Tata Consultancy Services
The five Indian computers which have made it to the list are: Essar Oil, L&T, Tech Mahindra, Tata Consultancy Services and Wipro. This is a global index prepared by CDP which is an international not-for-profit organization. It is the only global system for companies and cities to measure, disclose, manage and share vital environmental information.
10. In a recent IUCN list which Indian bird has been placed in the ‘critically endangered’ species category?
[A]Great Indian Bustard
Great Indian Bustard
The International Union Conservation of Nature has recently placed the Great Indian Bustard in the category of critically endangered birds. It is only found in Gujarat, Maharashtra and Karnataka.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »