GK & Current Affairs: August 23, 24, 2014
1. Tintu Luka, Anirban Lahiri and Anaka Alankamony have been awarded the Arjuna Award by President Pranab Mukherjee at the 2014 National sports Adventure Awards at Durbar Hall, Rashtrapati Bhawan. What games do these players play respectively?
[A]Athletics,Golf and Squash
[B]Rowing, Golf and Athletics
[C]Athlectics, Rowing and Badminton
[D]Athlectics, Squash and Rowing
Athletics,Golf and Squash
2. India has recently cancelled the purchase of 197 Light Utility Helicopters (LUH) worth $1 billion due to corruption issues. Via this deal, which among the following vintage fleet of copters was to be replaced?
[A]Dhruv and Rudra
[B]Cheetah and Chetak
[C]Rudra and Cheetah
[D]Dhruv and Chetak
Cheetah and Chetak
Cheetah and Chetak form the vintage fleet of helicopters used to move troops and equipments to high-altitude locations.
3. Which among the following Indian players has recently created history by winning a Bronze medal in archery at the Youth Olympic Games held at Nanjing?
[A]Ashok Kumar Yadav
[B]Sanjeeva Kumar Singh
4. Acronym “GPRS” stands for
[A]General Packet Radio Service
[B]Global Package Radiation Service
[C]Ground Provision Radio Service
[D]Global Package Remission Service
General Packet Radio Service
General Packet Radio Service is a non-voice value added service that allows information sharing across a mobile telephone network
5. Who is the oldest person till date to have won the Nobel Prize for Literature?
6. What is the new wage ceiling limit in higher wages for social security schemes run by Employees Provident Fund Organization which will come into effect from September 1, 2014?
The move is expected to bring 50 lakh additional formal sector workers under the ambit of EPFO.
7. Where is “Anthropological Survey of India” located?
8. Which chemical has been found in anti-bacterial products due to which they have been declared unsafe to use?
[C]Chloro Fluoro Carbons
Triclosan, an antibacterial chemical widely used in personal-care products, hinders muscle contractions at a cellular level, slows swimming in fish and reduces muscular strength in mice. It is commonly found in antibacterial personal-care products such as hand soaps as well as deodorants, mouthwashes, toothpaste, bedding, clothes, carpets, toys and trash bags.
9. Which Indian celebrity has been selected as the ambassador of Interpol’s “turn back crime” campaign?
10. India’s first plant that recycles construction waste is located at ___?
The erstwhile unified Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) had started the plant in 2009, with Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS) operating the 10-acre site at Burari at Jahangirpuri in North Delhi. North Delhi Municipal Corporation’s Standing Committee has approved the waste collection contract with IL&FS till 2019 and has also sanctioned Rs. 23 crore for the expenditure on transporting the materials to the plant.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|