GK & Current Affairs: October 15, 16, 2014
1. According to a recent study of Wildlife Conservation Society, which of the following viruses have the potential to be a significant factor in pushing the tigers towards extinction?-
[A]Canine distemper virus
[B]Canine immunodeficiency virus
[C]Canine Leukaemia virus
[D]Canine Rabies virus
Canine distemper virus
According to a recent study of Wildlife Conservation Society, Canine distemper virus has the potential to be a significant factor in pushing the tiger population towards extinction.
2. In a recent spell of labour reforms, PM Narendra Modi unveiled which portable number to include employee Provident Fund, Single window portal to enable business with central government?
[A]Permanent Account Number
[B]Universal Account Number
[C]Dearness Account Number
[D]Movable Account Number
Universal Account Number
PM Narendra Modi dedicated a number of schemes under Shramev Jayate which also has portability through universal account number.
3. Indian born Mexican scientist Rajaram has been awarded for his excellent research that led to an increase in world wheat production. What is the name of the prize he has been awarded?
[B]National Medal of Science
[C]World Food Prize
[D]Nicholas Appert Award
World Food Prize
Indian born Mexican scientist Rajaram has been awarded World Food Prize for his astounding research by breeding 480 varieties of wheat to provide nutritious grains resistant to rust disease and adaptable to many climates.
4. Despite Chinese concerns recently, India is going ahead with the construction of which highway in Arunachal Pradesh?
[A]Tawang to Vijaynagar
[B]Vijoyna to Vijaynagar
[C]Tapun to Hetbuk
[D]Ngyak to Vijaynagar
Tawang to Vijaynagar
Despite the concerns raised by Chinese, India is going to construct roads linking Mago-Thingbu in Tawang to Vijaynagar in Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh.
5. President Pranab Mukherjee became the first Indian President to visit the official residence of Santa Claus. It is located at which among the following places in Finland?
Indian President crossed the Arctic Circle to meet Santa Claus at Rovaniemi, Finland. Rovaniemi is situated on the Arctic Circle at 66.5 degrees north latitude and marks the southern boundary of Arctic region. It is also known for nightless summer nights and sunless winter days.
6. Argentina launched its first domestically built communication satellite. What is its name?
ARSAT-1 is a geostationary communication satellite operated by an Argentinian company INVAP. It is the first geostationary satellite built in Latin America with a total cost of US $ 270 million.
7. Which among the following is the name of memoir of Malala Yousafzai, published recently in several Indian languages?
[A]In the Line of Fire
[B]Against the veil
[C]I am Malala
[D]None of them
I am Malala
Malala Yousafzai’s memoir I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban, co-written with British journalist Christina Lamb, was published in October 2013 by Little, Brown and Company in the U.S. and by Weidenfeld & Nicolson in the U.K. It is to be translated in several Indian languages such as Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam and Marathi. Among the options given in above question, In the Line of Fire is a memoir by Pervez Musharraf.
8. Ajay Jayaram is a player of which among the following sports?
Recently, Ajay Jayaram has won the Dutch Open Grand Prix badminton tournament 2014. The prize money is $50,000.
9. Satish Dhawan Space Centre is located in __?
Satish Dhawan Space Centre or Sriharikota Range (SHAR) is a rocket launch center located in Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh. Its original name was Sriharikota Launching Range and it was renamed so in 2002 after the name of former ISRO chairman Satish Dhawan. It is India’s only spaceport currently. Recently, it was used to launch IRNSS-1C.
10. Who is the author of the recently published book Final Test: Exit Sachin Tendulkar ?
Dilip D’ Souza
The book acclaimed widespread popularity as it expressed a very close observation of the two and half days. The book Final Test: Exit Sachin Tendulkar was written by Dilip D’ Souza.