GK & Current Affairs: October 17, 18, 2014
1. On which among the following dates, the International Day for Eradication of Poverty observed?
October 17 was observed worldwide as the International Day for Eradication of Poverty. The theme of the day was ‘Leave no one behind: think, decide and act together against extreme poverty.
2. Which among the following countries is NOT a part of the so called geographical and cultural region of Levant?
Levant is between Eastern Mediterranean region between Anatolia and Egypt. It includes Cyprus, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria and a part of Turkey.
3. The coast of Mediterranean Sea does not make the part of border of __?
Bulgaria is on coast of black sea. The countries with coastlines on the Mediterranean Sea are Albania, Algeria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Northern Cyprus, Palestine, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Turkey, and Tunisia.
4. Which missile was developed by India as an answer to America’s Tomahawk and Pakistan’s Babur missile?
India successfully test-fired its cruise missile Nirbhay from Chandipur in Odisha. It was developed by DRDO and is a sub-sonic cruise missile. The missile is considered India’s answer to US Tomahawk missile.
5. As of October 2014, the “State of Palestine” is recognized by which among the following permanent members of United Nations?
[B]China and Russia
[C]China, Russia and UK
[D]China, France, Russia and UK
China, Russia and UK
153 members of the General Assembly recognize State of Palestine, including P5 members China and Russia and lately UK. In October 2014, the British House of Commons voted 274 to 12 to support a motion which called on British government to recognize the state of Palestine along side the state of Israel.
6. As per a recent observation by NASA’s Earth Observatory, what is the name of world’s fourth largest lake which has dried and is on threshold to vanish completely?
NASA’s Earth Observatory has reported that the world’s fourth largest lake i.e. Aral Sea has dried is about to vanish from the world map.
7. Australian author Richard Flanagan won the 50000 pounds Man Booker Prize for which of his work?
[A]The Narrow Road to the Deep North
[C]The unknown terrorist
[D]Death of a river guide
The Narrow Road to the Deep North
Richard Flanagan’s work The Narrow Road to the Deep North is the book which has bagged him the Man Booker Prize for this year.
8. Recently, Evo Morales has been re-elected as President of __?
Juan Evo Morales Ayma, popularly known as Evo has been recently re-elected as Bolivian President. He is a former Footballer and a democratic socialist.
9. Recently, which among the following comets made a close fly-by the planet Mars passing within 140,000 kilometres?
[B]Comet Siding Spring
Comet Siding Spring
Oort cloud Comet Siding Spring made a close fly-by the planet Mars passing within 140,000 kilometres in October 2014. Images of Comet Siding Spring was captured by MOM, the Mars Orbiter Mission of India.
10. Which among the following is the largest cane producer state of India as of 2014?
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »