GK & Current Affairs: November 1-3, 2014
1. Which of the following countries is not a part of the Eurasian Custom Union?
Eurasian Custom Union is a political and economic union which was established by a treaty signed on 29 May 2014 between Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan.
2. Which among the following leaders been chosen for Japan’s top national award called “The Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers 2014”?
[A] PM Narendra Modi
[B] Manmohan Singh
[C] Sonia Gandhi
[D] Pranab Mukherjee
Former PM Manmohan Singh
Former PM Manmohan Singh has been chosen for Japan’s top national award The Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers 2014. He has been awarded for his notable contribution towards Indo-Japan ties.
3. India has recently launched a new Air Quality Index. How many categories of ratings are there in this new index?
India has recently launched a new Air Quality Index. This index has been prepared by experts from many fields like medical, academics, NGOs etc. AQI has 6 categories of rating each colour coded in ranges of green to red. AQI transforms the pollution into a single digit for simplifying data to common users. Index has been introduced for effective provision of air quality information to people.
4. What was the main objective of the recently held ‘ Cairo International Conference’ organised by governments of Egypt and Norway?
[A]Reconstruction of Gaza Strip
[B]Reconstruction of Syria
[C]Reconstruction of Iraq
[D]Reconstruction of Afghanistan
Reconstruction of Gaza Strip
The primary objective of the recently held ‘ Cairo International Conference’ organised by governments of Egypt and Norway was the reconstruction of Gaza Strip. The conference saw contributions amounting to US$5.4 billion by international donors.
5. Which among the following is the first listed company in India to have 75% shareholding by FIIs?
[B]Tata Consultancy Services
Housing Development Finance Corporation is the first listed company in India among the SENSEX companies to have more than 75% shareholding by Foreign Institutional Investors.
6. Who among the following is the winner of ICC People’s Choice award 2014?
Bhubaneswar Kumar has been selected as the winner of the ICC People’s Choice award for the year 2014. It was announced at ICC press conference at Dubai.
7. Union government has recently given its approval for a treaty of transfer of sentenced persons with which country?
The treaty for the transfer of prisoners was approved under the Repatriation of Prisoners Act, 2003 passed by the Union government for this purpose in 2003. India has such agreements with the United Kingdom, Mauritius, Bulgaria, Brazil, Cambodia, Egypt, France, Bangladesh, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Kuwait, Sri Lanka, the UAE, Maldives, Thailand, Turkey, Italy, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Israel, Russia and Vietnam.
8. What is the title of the biography of Sachin released recently?
[A]Playing it my way
Playing it my way
Sachin Tendulkar has recently launched his biography namely Playing it my way. Sachin gave first copy of the book to his mother Rajni and he presented a copy to his mentor and childhood coach Ramakant Achrekar.
9. Which among the following villages was adopted by PM Narendra Modi for development under Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 5 November 2014 adopted Jayapur village in Varanasi under Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY).Jayapur village is located 32 km from Varanasi city centre in the Rohaniya assembly segment. The village has a population of 4000. Of them, 2700 are voters. The village is dominated by Bhumihars and Patels.
10. Which among the following is the state tree of Rajasthan, currently facing threat of slow death due to excessive cutting of its branches?
Rajasthan’s state tree Khejri is slowing dying due to wrong cutting methods. The tree is known as lifeline of Rajasthan and has great cultural and economic significance as it immensely supports the rural economy.