GK & Current Affairs: February 22, 23, 2015
1. Attukal Pongal festival, which is figured in Guinness Book of World Records is celebrated in __?
Attukal Pongal festival is a famous festival in Kerala. The festival was figured in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the largest single gathering of women for a religious activity.
2. In February 2015, which Indian Cricket legend has been inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame?
Answer: Anil Kumble
Former Indian captain and spinner Anil Kumble will be inducted in the ICC Cricket hall of fame for his exemplary performances in a career spanning over 18 years. He is the 4th Indian cricketer to be inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. Others are Bishen Singh Bedi, Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar who were inducted into Hall of Fame in 2009.
3. Which South East Asian country has recently banned surrogacy service to end its flourishing rent-a-womb industry?
Thailand parliament has passed a law that aims to ban foreigners from seeking surrogacy services in the country. The law will end a rent-a-womb industry that made the Thailand a top destination for fertility tourism.
4. February 20th marks the statehood day of which two North East states of India?
[A]Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim
[B]Sikkim and Tripura
[C]Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram
[D]Mizoram and Tripura
Answer: Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram
February 20th marks the statehood day of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram. Arunachal Pradesh was earlier named NEFA (North-East Frontier Agency), which was created in 1955. It became a full fledged state of the Union of India on 20 February 1987.Mizo Hills was turned into a Union Territory in 1972. Following the Mizoram Peace Accord (1986), Mizoram was declared a full-fledged state of India on 20th February, 1987.
5. Which among the following states has been conferred with the Krishi Karman Award 2013-14 for record grain production?
Punjab has been conferred with the Krishi Karman Award 2013-14 for producing more than 10 million tonnes food grain on an annual basis. Odisha won the award in food grain category second (annual production from 1 to 10 MT). Meghalaya won third category award (annual production under 1 MT annually). In crop wise Chhattisgarh (Rice), Madhya Pradesh (Wheat), Assam and Tamil Nadu (both in Pulses), West Bengal (Coarse Cereals), Gujarat (Oil Seeds) won the awards.
6. The Nuzvid chinna rasalu or Nuzvedu chinna rasalu is a well-known variety of which among the following fruits?
Nuzvedu or Nuzvid is a small town in Andhra Pradesh located in Krishna district, located 45 kilometres from Vijaywada. This town is an educational hub and is well known for its mango variety called Nuzvedu rasalu. The town comes under the famous VGTM (Vijayawada-Guntur-Tenali-Mangalagiri) region of Andhra Pradesh.
7. Which part of the world is referred to as the fertile crescent?
[B]South East Asia
Answer: Middle East
Fertile Crescent is an arc-shaped important event which covers large parts of Middle East. The countries in which it falls is Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria and Iraq.
8. India’s largest unfurled flag is in __?
India’s largest unfurled flag is in Connaught Place, New Delhi. Its size is 90×60 feet, weighs 35 kg and is hoisted on a 207 feet pole The world’s largest and tallest Indian tricolour was unfurled at Town Park in Faridabad, Haryana in March 2015. It was unfurled by BJP President Amit Shah. The flag has 96 feet by 64 feet dimension and weighs 48 Kilogram. It was hoisted at a height of 250 feet (75 meters), making it the largest and the highest hoisted Indian flag in the world.
9. Pampore area in Jammu & Kashmir is best known for production of __?
Kashmir saffron is a high value, low volume crop and the quality of saffron is among the best in the world particularly because of its rich color and flavour. A small area in the valley, Pampore has the virtual monopoly of saffron cultivation in the country.
10. Who among the following is often called the “greenest chief minister of India”?
[A]Pawan Kumar Chamling
[C]Prakash Singh Badal
Answer: Pawan Kumar Chamling
Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling is often called the greenest chief minister of India.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »