GK & Current Affairs: January 23, 24, 2015
Current Affairs Questions and Answers for January 23 and 24, 2015 with latest MCQs on Census 2011, MS Narayana, World’s largest vertical maze, Rara Lake, National Billiards and Snooker Championship, National Girl Child Day, DSC Prize for Literature, International Year of Soils
1. The United Nations general assembly has declared the year 2015 as ____?
[A]International Year of Seas
[B]International Year of Soils
[C]International Year of Vegetables
[D]International Year of Food
Answer: International Year of Soils
The International Year of Soils, 2015 (IYS 2015) was declared by the Sixty-eighth session of the United Nations General Assembly on December 20, 2013 after recognizing December 5 as World Soil Day. The International Year of Soils aims to be a platform for raising awareness of the importance of soils for food security and essential eco-system functions. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations has been nominated to implement the IYS 2015.
2. Who among the following has won the prestigious DSC Prize for Literature, one of the South Asia’s top literary awards?
Answer: Jumpa Lahiri
Indian-American author Jhumpa Lahiri has won the $50,000 DSC Prize for Literature, one of South Asia’s top literary awards. She was awarded the prize for her book, The Lowland.
3. The Yunnan province, which is considered China’s gateway to Southeast Asia, does not share its border with which one of the following countries?
Yunnan is China’s gateway to Southeast Asia, sharing common borders with Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam.
4. Which of the following banks has launched banking service on Twitter which allows customers to transfer money using the social networking site, recently?
Answer: ICICI Bank
ICICI Bank, India’s largest private sector bank has launched banking service on Twitter which allows customers to transfer money using the social networking site. The facility, which is first of its kind in India, allows customers to check their account balance, view the last three transactions and recharge their prepaid mobile phones using their accounts on the site.
5. The National Girl Child Day is observed on ____?
Answer: January 24
National girl child day is celebrated every year on 24th of January. It is celebrated to increase the awareness among people about all the inequalities faced by the girl child in society. The ministry of women and child development was celebrating it since 2008.
6. Who among the following has clinched the women’s billiards title at the National Billiards and Snooker Championship?
Answer: Arantxa Sanchis
Arantxa Sanchis has won the billiards women’s title. She defeated state-mate Meenal Thaku in the National billiards and snooker championship held at the Bengal Rowing Club in Kolkata.
7. The Rara Lake is the biggest lake of which among the following countries?
Rara Lake is the largest lake of Nepal. It is situated in Mugu district in the Karnali Zone of Nepal. It is also known as Mahendra Daha after the late King Mahendra of Nepal
8. World’s largest vertical maze has been unveiled in recently in __?
The world’s largest vertical maze has been unveiled in Dubai. The tower, an iconic 55-storey mixed-use building, was constructed by Al Rostamani Group. The maze has been confirmed by records tally-keeper Guinness World Records to be the largest vertical maze.
9. M S Narayana, who died recently, was a popular actor and comedian in which film industry?
M S Narayana was a famous actor and comedian in Telugu film industry. Narayana was acted in more than 700 films. He won five Nandi awards and a filmfare award during his long and illustrious career.
10. According 2011 census, which of the following North East region states has lowest child sex ratio?
In the North East region, Manipur has lowest child sex ratio. Child sex ratio in Manipur was 957 in 2001 which declined to 936 in the 2011. Arunachal Pradesh has sex ratio of 972, Mizoram and Meghalaya (970), Tripura (957) and Nagaland (943).
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »