GK & Current Affairs: February 1, 2, 2015
1. Who among the following have won the women’s and men’s single titles, respectively at Australia Open-2015?
[A]Maria Sharapova and Andy Murray
[B]Serena Williams and Novak Djokovic
[C]Maria Sharapova and Novak Djokovic
[D]Serena Williams and Andy Murray
Answer: Serena Williams and Novak Djokovic
Serena Williams and Novak Djokovic has won the women’s and men’s single titles, respectively at Australia Open-2015. In the women’s final, no. 1 Serena Williams defeated no. 2 Maria Sharapova and in the men’s final, no. 1 Novak Djokovic defeated no. 6 Andy Murray.
2. Carl Djerassi, who passed away recently, was the chemist widely known as father of ____?
[B]Birth control pill
Answer: Birth control pill
Carl Djerassi was widely considered the father of the birth control pill. He was most famous for leading a research team in Mexico City that in 1951 developed norethindrone, a synthetic molecule that became a key component of the first birth control pill.
3. Which state has set up a fenced, forested elephant sanctuary?
The Bannerghatta Biological Park in Karnataka has set up a 49.5 hectare fenced, forested elephant sanctuary. The project, which is first in the country, has been funded by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India.
4. Which among the following are primary components of Syngas, or synthesis gas?
[A]Carbon Monoxide, Hydrogen
[B]Carbon Dioxide, Hydrogen
[D]Carbon Monoxide, Methane
Answer: Carbon Monoxide, Hydrogen
Syngas or synthesis gas, is a fuel gas mixture consisting primarily of hydrogen, carbon monoxide and very often some carbon dioxide. Syngas is combustible and often used as a fuel of internal combustion engine. The syngas is produced by gasification of a carbon containing fuel to a gaseous product that has some heating value.
5. Boll rot is an important fungal disease that has been affecting which one of the following crops?
Boll rot is one of the major diseases of cotton crop. It is a complex disease caused by several fungal pathogens. Initially, the disease appears as small brown or black dots which later enlarge to cover the entire bolls. Infection spreads to inner tissues and rotting of seeds and lint occur. The bolls never burst open and fall off and prematurely.
6. Who among the following has become the youngest world number one in golf history by reaching the top of the women’s ranking?
Answer: Lydia Ko
Lydia Ko is a New Zealand professional golfer. She became the no.1 ranked woman professional golfer when aged 17, the youngest player to do so. She surpassed Tiger Woods record, who was 21 when he became men’s world number one in 1997.
7. The Hero India Open tournament is related to which among the following sports?
Indian Open is the oldest international golf tournament of India, organized by the Indian Golf Union (IGC). It is one of the major events in the Asian PGA Tour. British Open winner Peter Thomson (Australian golfer) was the inspiration behind the commencement of Indian Open. Its inaugural event was organized in 1964 and first played at the Delhi Golf Club.
8. The Maranjab desert is located in which one of the following countries?
Maranjab desert is located by the city of Aran va Bidgol, one of the ancient desert cities of Isfahan province of Iran
9. The only licensed flag production unit in India in located at which among the following places?
Karnataka Khadi Gramodyoga Samyukta Sangha in Hubli is the only licensed flag production unit in India.
10. India recently carried out its first canister-based trial of which among the following missiles?
[B]Agni II Prime
Answer: Agni V
India has carried out the maiden canister-based trial Agni-V. Agni-V is India’s most potent missile with a strike rate of over 5,000 km and can carry a nuclear warhead of over one tonne.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|