GK & Current Affairs: December 11-14, 2014
1. Which among the following countries has recently hit by the powerful Typhoon Hugpit?
2. Chunibhai Vidya, who passed away, recently was a ____?
Chunibhai Vidya is a veteran Gandhian and Sarvodaya leader. Popularly known as Chuni Kaka, Vaidya was a close disciple of Vinoba Bhave, pioneer of Bhudan Movement and Jayprakash Narayan who played a key role in a movement against Emergency in India in 1975. Noted as the leader and sympathiser of the under-privileged and farmers in particular, Vaidya participated in a number of people’s movements. His association can be seen in any major people’s movement in Gujarat, a significant one being the farmers’ movement against the proposed cement plant of Nirma on an alleged water body in Mahuva of Bhavnagar district.
3. Which among the following has won the “Indian Car of the Year-2015” award?
[D]Maruthi Suzuki Ciaz
Korean carmaker Hyundai’s Elite i20 has won the 2015 Indian car of the year award. The car has received rave reviews from both customers and critics. Within the second month of its launch, the Elite i20 was among the top selling car brands in India. The top three contenders were the Hyundai Elite i20, Maruti Suzuki Ciaz and Honda City.
4. The Service, Security and Brotherhood, is the motto of ____?
[A]Central Reserve Police Force
[B]Sashastra Seema Bal
[C]National Security Guard
[D]Border Security Force
Sashastra Seema Bal
Sashastra Seema Bal is one of India’s Central Armed Police Forces. Service, Security and Brotherhood is the motto of the Sashastra Seema Bal.
5. Recently, India has achieved the milestone of exporting its first patrol vessel “CGS Baraccuda” to which country?
India exported a 1,300-tonne offshore patrol vessel (OPV) named “Barracuda” to Mauritius. This $58 million (Rs 365 crore) vessel is the first warship ordered by a foreign country from an Indian shipyard.
6. Who among the following has received the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Dubai International Film Festival 2014?
Legendary playback singer Asha Bhosle was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award for her contribution to Indian cinema at the Dubai International Film Festival.
7. Hanukkh, the festival of light is associated with which one of the following religions?
Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, Feast of Dedication, is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Holy Temple (the Second Temple) in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire of the 2nd century BCE. Hanukkah is observed for eight nights and days, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may occur at any time from late November to late December in the Gregorian calendar.
8. Recently, NASA has proposed a new mission HAVOC to explore the atmosphere of which one of the following planets?
NASA’s Systems Analysis and Concepts Directorate has issued a report outlining a possible way for humans to visit Venus, rather than Mars by hovering in the atmosphere instead of landing on the surface. The hovering vehicle, which they call a High Altitude Venus Operational Concept (HAVOC), would resemble a blimp with solar panels on top, and would allow people to do research just 50 kilometres above the surface of the planet.
9. Who among the following has been appointed as new chief of Research and Analysis Wing (RAW)?
Rajinder Khanna, a 1978 batch RAS officer, as named as the new chief of Research and Analysis Wing (RAW). He will take over from incumbent Alok Joshi, who retires at the end of this month.
10. The first East-Asia Summit was held in __?
[C]New Delhi, 2004
The first East Asia Summit was held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in December 2005. National leaders from East Asian region meet during this. Its meetings are generally held after the ASEAN Summit.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|