UPSC Daily Prelims General Studies Quiz – 3
1. Consider the following Jurisdictions and Powers:
- Writ Jurisdiction
- Original Jurisdiction
- Appellate Jurisdiction
- Power of judicial review
- Advisory Jurisdiction
Which of the above is/are enjoyed by High Courts in India?
[A] 1 and 2 Only
[B] 1,2 and 3 Only
[C] 1,2,3 and 4 Only
[D] 1,2,3,4 and 5
Advisory Jurisdiction is enjoyed only by Supreme court of India.
2. Consider the following statements about Panchayatan style of temples in India:
- It is an east-west direction construction
- Kandariya mahadev temple of khajurao is an example of Panchayatan style.
Which of the above statements is/ are correct?
[A] 1 Only
[B] 2 Only
[C] Both 1 and 2
[D] Neither 1 nor 2
Both the statements are correct. The main shrine in the temple is surrounded by four other shrines. Sun is placed at centre, with shiva, ganesh parvati and Vishnu at 4 corners.
3. Nishkam Karma Yoga is the core philosophy of Bhagvadgeeta. Consider the following statements with this respect:
- While the Nishkam Karma refers to Satvika actions, Sakam Karma refers to Tamasika actions
- Performing a duty for duty's sake is Sakam Karma, while Nishkam Karma is mindfulness in the present moment
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
[A] Only 1
[B] Only 2
[C] Both 1 & 2
[D] Neither 1 nor 2
In Indian philosophy, action or Karma has been divided into three categories, according to their intrinsic qualities or gunas. Here Nishkam Karma belongs to the first category, the Satvik (pure) or actions which add to calmness; the Sakam Karma (Self-centred action) comes in the second rÄjasika (aggression) and Akarma (in-action) comes under the third, tÄmasika which correlates to darkness or inertia. Nishkam karma is performing duty for duty’s sake. Nishkam karma is also the mindfulness in the present moment and not worrying about future.
4. Mosquitoes breed on stagnant water and their larvae keep floating on water. When oil is sprinkled on the stagnant water, it results in the drowning and death of the larvae. Which of the following is the reason behind death of larvae?
[A] Sprinkling of oil in water reduces surface tension of water
[B] Sprinkling of oil in water increase surface tension of water
[C] Sprinkling of oil in water increases viscocity of water
[D] Sprinkling of oil in water cut of oxygen supply to larvae.
The property of the surface of the liquid to behave like an elastic membrane is called surface tension. The surface of a liquid resist an external force, due to the cohesive nature of its molecules. When oil is Sprinkled in water, it reduces surface tension of water, resulting in the drowning and death of the larvae.
5. Triticale is the world’s first man made crop developed by crossing ____?
[A] Wheat and Rice
[B] Wheat and Rye
[C] Rice and Rye
[D] Rice and Sorghum
Triticale is a man-made crop developed by crossing wheat (Triticum turgidum or Triticum aestivum) with rye (Secale cereale).
6. A Code of Gentoo Laws was used in the British Courts as reference for Hindu Laws in late 18th century. The source of this book was ___?
English translation of jagannath tarkapanchanan’s celebrated work on Hindu law, the Vivadabhangarnava under the title digest of Hindu law on contracts and successions was taken by Asiatic Society. It was first translated in Persian which was official language of that time and later in English for the use in courts of the East India Company as “A code of gentoo laws”
7. Here we find hot dry summers and warm wet winters. There are no rains in summer except occasional thunderstorms. Almost all rains are in winter. The vegetation in this climate is characterized by shrubs and small deciduous trees like the scrub oak. Identify the climate from the quotation given above.
[A] Tropical monsoon climate
[B] Mediterranean climate
[C] Humid continental climate
[D] Tropical Savanah
Warm wet winters are hallmark of Mediterranean climate. During summer, regions of Mediterranean climate are dominated by subtropical high pressure cells, with dry sinking air capping a surface marine layer of varying humidity and making rainfall impossible or unlikely except for the occasional thunderstorm, while during winter the polar jet stream and associated periodic storms reach into the lower latitudes of the Mediterranean zones, bringing rain, with snow at higher elevations. As a result, areas with this climate receive almost all of their precipitation during their winter season, and may go anywhere from 4 to 6 months during the summer without having any significant precipitation. (Wikipedia)
8. Interior of the earth is in a molten state. This is explained by the fact that:
1. P waves are fastest to reach a nearby seismic station
2. There is a earthquake shadow zone surrounding the antipode of the epicentre
3. Deflection of P-waves in the interior of the Earth
Select the correct option from the codes given below:
[A] Only 1 & 2
[B] Only 2 & 3
[C] Only 1 & 3
[D] 1, 2 & 3
An earthquake is not felt in all parts of the world. In case of any earthquake, there is a shadow zone in which the earthquake is not felt. The shadow zone surrounds the antipode (diametrically opposite on the globe) of the epicentre. The shadow zone around the area antipodal to the epicentre is caused because the P- and S-waves fail to reach this area and the L-waves, if they at all reach this region, would have become extremely weak due to a long distance from the epicentre. The P-waves fail to reach this area due to deflection and the S-waves are absorbed in the interior of the earth. This indicates that the interior of the earth is in a molten state. [Geography – Surender Singh TMH)
9. The weather hardly changes from one day to the next. Morning is clear. Then, the Sun starts heating up the ground and warm, humid air starts to rise. In the afternoon clouds get blacker and there are convectional rains for an hour or two before it starts to clear up again. This patterns remains for most parts of the year.
The above quotation is taken from a traveller’s diary, who wrote this most probably at __?
Afternoon rains are a feature of equatorial environment. Out of the given options, Singapore is characterized by a hot and humid climate. Located just 1 degree north of the equator, it quite naturally enjoys a tropical/equatorial climate. The island does not have clear-cut seasons like summer, spring, autumn and winter. The weather is warm and humid all year round. Rainfall is almost an everyday phenomenon, even during the non-monsoon period. These brief showers are usually quite refreshing, as they provide respite from the sun.
10. This is the Congress Radio calling on (a wavelength of) 42. 34 meters from somewhere in India.
The above announcement was made by __?
[A] Usha Mehta
[B] Hansa Mehta
[C] Kamladevi Chattopadhyay
[D] Sucheta Kriplani
Congress Radio was a clandestine and underground radio station, which operated for about three months during the Quit India Movement of 1942, a movement launched by Gandhi against the British Raj for independence of India. Congress Radio was the broadcasting mouthpiece of the Indian National Congress, and functioned from different locations from Bombay, currently known as Mumbai. It was organized by Usha Mehta (1920–2000), a veteran freedom fighter of India with the help of ham radio operators.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|