Patwai (UP): India’s First “Amrit Sarovar”
The first “Amrit Sarovar” in India was inaugurated on 13th May 2022 by Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Union Minister for Minority Affairs and Swatantra Dev Singh, Uttar Pradesh Jal Shakti Minister at Patwai, Rampur, Uttar Pradesh.
- What is the significance of this Amrit Sarovar of Patwai?
- When was Mission Amrit Sarovar launched?
- What is the objective of Mission Amrit Sarovar?
- Which are the participating ministries/departments under Mission Amrit Sarovar?
- Which organization has been engaged as the technical partner for this mission?
- How does this mission work?
What is the significance of this Amrit Sarovar of Patwai?
This newly inaugurated “Amrit Sarovar” of Patwai will help to conserve water and protect the environment. It will also be a tourist attraction for the people staying in the nearby areas. In this “Amrit Sarovar” boating and various other entertainment facilities are also available.
When was Mission Amrit Sarovar launched?
On 24th April 2022, Mission Amrit Sarovar was launched by PM Modi with the broad aim of water conservation for the future. By 15th August 2023, the Mission will be completed.
What is the objective of Mission Amrit Sarovar?
The aim of this mission is to develop and rejuvenate 75 water bodies in each district of India as a part of the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav celebration. Under this mission, 50,000 water bodies will be created and each of these water bodies will be an Acre or more in size. Every individual Amrit Sarovar will have a 10,000 cubic meter water holding capacity.
Which are the participating ministries/departments under Mission Amrit Sarovar?
- Department of land resources
- Dept of Rural Development
- Department of Water resources
- Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Ministry of Forest, Environment and Climate changes
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj
Which organization has been engaged as the technical partner for this mission?
For Mission Amrit Sarovar, the Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Application and Geo-informatics (BISAG-N) has been engaged as the technical partner.
How does this mission work?
This mission will work through various Districts and States by refocusing various other schemes like
- XV Finance Commission Grants
- Mahatma Gandhi NREGS
It will also refocus other Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY) sub-schemes like
- Har Khet Ko Pani
- Watershed Development Component,
- Other schemes of the States
This mission also encourages the mobilization of various other non-govt as well as citizen resources to help supplement the efforts under this mission.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2022