GK & Current Affairs: March 13, 2015
1. Who became the first cricketer to score four successive one-day international centuries?
[A]AB de Villiers
Answer: Kumara Sangakkara
Sri Lanka’s batsman Kumara Sangakkara became the first player to score four successive one-day international centuries. He sets the new record in world cup match against Scotland. Sangakkara surpassed six players who have scored three ODI centuries in a row.
2. The 2018 FIFA World Cup is scheduled to take place in ___?
Russia will host the 2018 FIFA World Cup. The tournament is scheduled to take place between 14 June and 15 July, 2018.
3. On which date, the Tibetan Uprising Day is observed?
Answer: March 10
Tibetan uprising day is observed on 10 March every year. The day marks the 1959 Tibetan uprising against the presence of the People’s Republic of China in Tibet.
4. Who among the following has been voted as the greatest ODI player in the history of cricket in an exercise conducted by ESPNcricinfo?
[D]M S Dhoni
Answer: Viv Richard
West Indian batting great Viv Richard has been voted as the greatest ODI player in the history of cricket in an exercise conducted by ESPNcricinfo’s magazine cricket monthly. India’s Sachin Tendulkar ranked second in the exercise. The last three positions in the top five were taken by former Pakistan skipper Wasim Akram, Australia’s Adam Gilchrist and current Indian ODI skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
5. Which state recently launched a scheme ‘Aapki Beti Humari Beti’ to combat the problem of declining child sex ratio?
Haryana government launched a scheme for girl child ‘Aapki Beti Humari Beti’ with an aim to combat the problem of declining child sex ratio in the state. ‘Aapki Beti Humari Beti’ will be implemented in both rural and urban areas of the state covering first-born girl child of Scheduled Caste (SC) and Below Poverty Line (BPL) families and all second girl child born on or after January 22, 2015 of all families. Under this scheme, the first girl child born on or after January 22, 2015, in SC and BPL families will be eligible to receive Rs 21,000. Similarly, all second girl child born on or after January 22, 2015 of all families will get Rs 21,000. Families, where twin girls or multiple girls are born, will get Rs 21,000 per girl child.
6. According 2011 census, which state has high density of population in the country?
Density of population is defined as the number of persons per sq.km. The population density of India in 2011 was 382 per sq.km. Bihar with 1,106 population persons per sq.km is most thickly populated state followed by West Bengal (1,028) and Kerala (860).
7. Who has been chosen for 2014 Saraswati Samman award?
[A]S L Byrappa
Answer: Veerappa Moily
Former union minister and senior congress leader M. Veerappa Moily has been selected for the prestigious Saraswati Samman 2014 for his famous Kannada poem Ramayana Mahanveshanam. Ramayana Mahanveshanam was first published in 2007. The poem has been translated into English, Hindi, Telugu and Tamil.
8. Which among the following is not a principal tributary of Brahmaputra?
The principal tributaries of Brahmaputra are the Subansiri, Jia Bhareli, Dhansiri, Puthimari, Pagladiya and the Manas.
9. In which state is located the mountain lake named “Menmecho Lake”?
Menmecho Lake is a mountain lake located in Sikkim. It is the source of the river Rangpo chu, a tributary of the River Teesta.
10. Which Bollywood actor has been roped in as the ambassador for Visit Britain for attracting Indian tourist?
[C]Saif Ali Khan
Answer: Saif Ali Khan
Britain’s national tourism agency Visit Britain has appointed Saif Ali Khan as its brand ambassador for its Bollywood Britain campaign.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »