GK & Current Affairs: January 10, 11, 2015
1. With respect to Niti Aayog which of the following statements is/are true?
1. Sindhushree Khullar is the first CEO of Niti Aayog
2. Arvind Panagariya is the Vice-chairman of the Niti Aayog
3. Economist Bibek Debroy and V K Saraswat are full time members
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
1, 2 & 3
2. Who among the following is/are major players in the Government Securities Market? 1. Commercial Banks 2. Insurance Companies 3. Individual Households 4. Co-operative and Regional Rural Banks Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1, 2 & 4
[B]Only 1, 2 & 3
[C]Only 1, 3 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
Only 1, 3 & 4
Major players in the Government market include commercial banks and primary dealers beside institutional investors like insurance companies. Other participants include co- operative banks, regional rural banks, mutual funds, provident and pension funds.
3. The Financial Sector Legislative Reforms Commission (FSLRC), a body to review and rewrite the legal-institutional architecture of the financial sector was set up by ___?
[B]Reserve Bank of India
[C]Ministry of Finance
Ministry of Finance
The Financial Sector Legislative Reforms Commission (FSLRC) was set up on 24 March 2011 by Ministry of Finance, Government of India. Former Judge of the Supreme Court Justice B N Srikrishna is the chairman of the commission.
4. The “East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM)” is an Islamist terrorist group founded by Uyghur militants in which country?
The East Turkestan Islamic Movement is an Islamist terror group in China. It was founded by Uyghur militants in western China. Its stated goals are the Independence of East Turkestan from China.
5. The book “Born Again on the Mountain” is authored by which of the following mountaineer?
Arunima Sinha who became the first female amputee to scale Mount Everest is the author of the book “Born Again on the Mountain”.
6. Which of the following would be the first state to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Sustainable Energy for All (SE4ALL), an initiative of the United Nations?
Gujarat will be the first state to sign a MoU with Sustainable Energy for All (SE4ALL), an initiative of the United Nations. Gujarat will sign the MoU during the Vibrant Gujarat Summit. The intent of the MoU is to establish a framework for collaboration between SE4ALL and the state government on activities that would support SE4ALL objectives.
7. Satya Nadella, who has been conferred the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award is CEO to which company?
[C]International Business Machine (IBM)
Satya Nadella, is Chief Executive Officer of Microsoft. Nadella has been selected for a Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award, which will be presented to him in absentia in Gandhinagar.
8. Recently, China has honoured its top science award to veteran nuclear Physicist Yu Min. Yu Min is popularly known as Father of China’s ___?
Veteran nuclear physicist Yu Min is dubbed as Father of China’s Hydrogen Bomb. He was a leading scientist in designing the China’s hydrogen bomb, winning a medal for his contribution to “two bombs, one satellite”, China’s self-reliant national defence programme in 1999.
9. Celtic Tiger is a term used to describe the economy of which of the following countries?
Celtic Tiger refers to the economy of the Republic of Ireland between 1995 and 2000. During this period Ireland has seen rapid real economic growth fuelled by foreign direct investment, and a subsequent property price bubble which rendered the real economy uncompetitive.
10. Which among the following countries has the world’s largest and most important tar oil sands deposits?
Canada is boasting to have biggest and most important tar oil sands in the world followed by Venezuela.