GK & Current Affairs: December 25, 2014
1. Who among the following had founded the Central Hindu College at Varanasi, which was later converted into Banaras Hindu University?
[A]Madan Mohan Malviya
[C]Bal Gangadhar Tilak
[D]Jamna Lal Bajaj
Madan Mohan Malviya had established BHU in 1915 with the support of some leaders, mainly Annie Besant. She had founded the Central Hindu College in 1898 in Varanasi and this college was later gifted to Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya for the later to get it converted into Banaras Hindu University. Also notable points is that foundation for the main campus of BHU was laid by Lord Hardinge on 4 February 1916, on occasion of Vasant Panchami.
2. With reference to Atal Bihari Vajpayee, which among the following is NOT a correct statement?
[A]He was one of the founders of Bhartiya Jan Sangh
[B]He served as political secretary to Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee
[C]He is the first person to deliver a speech to the United Nations General Assembly in Hindi.
[D]All the above are correct statements
He was one of the founders of Bhartiya Jan Sangh
The first statement is not correct. Bhartiya Jan Sangh was founded by Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee.
3. Which among the following organizations were founded by Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya? 1. Banaras Hindu University 2. Pragya Hindu Samaj 3. Hindu Mahasabha 4. Bharat Dharma Mahamandal Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 4
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
Only 1 & 3
The Hindu Mahasabha was founded in 1914 in Amritsar and established its headquarters in Haridwar. Amongst its early leaders was the prominent nationalist and educationalist Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, who founded the Benaras Hindu University, and the Punjabi populist Lala Lajpat Rai. Banaras Hindu University was established in 1915. Malviya was instrumental in the coming together of Hindu Mahasabha and Arya Samaj in 1923 to make common cause on issues like cow slaughter and reconversion. He was also closely associated with bodies like Pragya Hindu Samaj, Bharat Dharma Mahamandal and Sanatana Dharma Mahasabha.
4. As per the latest survey, which among the following states has registered maximum “Crude Birth Rate (CBR)” in the country?
India’s birth rate has been declined by 0.2 points as per the Sample Registration System survey. The Crude Birth Rate (CBR) at the national level during 2013 stands at 21.4, a decline of 0.2 points over 2012. The maximum CBR has been reported in Bihar (27.6) and the minimum in Kerala (14.7).
5. Recently, Union government has constituted a committee to look into the variance grievance relating to the1984 anti-Sikh riot case. Who among the following is the chairman of the committee?
[A]R M Lodha
[B]G P Mathur
[D]S H Kapadia
G P Mathur
The Home Ministry has constituted a committee to look into various grievances relating to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots. The Committee, headed by former Supreme Court Judge Justice G P Mathur, will submit its report within three months. The committee will also oversee the implementation of the payment of enhanced compensation of Rs five lakh per person killed during the riots.
6. Which among the following bodies conducts the ‘Sample Registration System (SRS) Survey”, the largest demographic survey to estimate fertility and mortality rates in the country?
[B]Registrar General of India
[C]Ministry of Health
Registrar General of India
Sample Registration System is the largest demographic survey in the country done by the Registrar General of India. The survey is mandated to provide annual estimates of fertility as well as mortality indicators at the state and national level.
7. Which among the following has been voted as most important scientific breakthrough mission of 2014?
[B]Rosetta Space Mission
[D]Curiosity Rover Mission
Rosetta Space Mission
The Rosetta space mission which has for the first time put a spacecraft in orbit around a comet and landed a robotic probe on its surface has been voted the most important scientific breakthrough of 2014 by the editors of the journal Science.
8. Who among the following birth anniversary has been observed as “National Mathematics Day” in India?
[A]Satyendra Nath Bose
[B]P C Mahalano
In India, the day December 22 has been declared as the National Mathematics Day. The Indian mathematical genius Srinivasa Ramanujan was born on 22 December 1887 and died on 26 April 1920. It was in recognition of his contribution to mathematics the Government of India decided to celebrate Ramanujan’s birthday as the National Mathematics Day every year and to celebrate 2012 as the National Mathematical Year.
9. Which among the following is the largest Turmeric producing state in India?
Andhra Pradesh is the leading turmeric producing state in the country. Andhra Pradesh occupies 40 per cent of total turmeric in the country followed by Odisha and Tamil Nadu occupying 17 per cent and 13 per cent of total turmeric area respectively.
10. In context to India’s defense structure “Rustom-2” is a ___?
[A]Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle
[B]Light Weight Aircraft
[D]Anti missile tank
Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle
Rustom-2 is an unmanned combat air vehicle developed DRDO on the lines of the American Predator drones. It has altitude ceiling of 32,000 feet and an endurance of up to 35 hours.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|