GK & Current Affairs: October 23-26, 2014
1. What is the name of India’s first long-range subsonic cruise missile?
Nirbhay is the name of India’s first long-range subsonic cruise missile. It was test-fired on October 17.
2. The Shyamal Sen Commission was set up to enquire into __?
[A]2G spectrum scam
[B]Saradha Chit fund Scam
[D]Kerala solar panel scam
Saradha Chit fund Scam
Shyamal Sen Commission was set up in April 2013 by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to enquire into the Saradha Chit Fund scam.
3. Which among the following years will mark 100 years of Mahatma Gandhi’s return to India from South Africa?
2015 will mark 100 years of Mahatma Gandhi’s return to India from South Africa and the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas celebrations to welcome overseas Indians to their homeland will be held in Ahmedabad on January 9.
4. Which among the following is a standard for wireless communication?
[C] Dolby Digital
LTE, an acronym for Long Term Evolution, commonly marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals.
5. Which among the following is the first Indian company to acquire the domain name .ooo (Dot-Triple-O)?
E-commerce firm Infibeam, the first Indian company to acquire the domain name dotooo (Dot-Triple-O), released by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) under its domain name expansion programme, expects it to become popular on mobile phones on which most first-time users access the internet.
6. The National Advisory Council was set up by the Congress-led UPA as __?
[D]None of them
None of them
The National Advisory Council was set up by the Congress-led UPA as an institution outside government that directed and dictated policy but took on no responsibility or accountability.
7. According to a recent survey done by Thomson Reuters Foundation, Delhi is the fourth most dangerous city for women using public transport. Which among the following is most dangerous in the world?
8. Which among the treaties is often called by Indian establishment as “last vestige of apartheid in the international system”?
[A]Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT)
[B]United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)
[C]Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT)
[D]Vienna Convention on Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage
Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT)
India considers NPT as the last vestige of apartheid in the international system, granting as it does to five-countries (US, UK, China, France and Russia) the right to be nuclear weapons state while denying the same right to others. The NPT came into force in 1970 and India has not joined it.
9. Which among the following countries is not a member of “Pacific Alliance” trade bloc?
The Pacific Alliance has four member states viz. Chile, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru.
10. President Pranab Mukherjee has recently introduced a postage stamp on a Sri Lankan Buddhist monk who played a substantial role to revive Buddhism in India in 19th century. What is his name?
[D]Narada Maha Thera
Anagarika Dharmapala was one of the founding contributors of Sinhalese Buddhist nationalism and was also a pioneer in the revival of Buddhism in India.