GK & Current Affairs: June 4, 5, 2014
1. Which among the following states have successfully implemented the “Jyotirgram Yojana” by electrification of 18,000 villages and supply of power to the remotest locations of the state?
2. Sumitra Mahajan, the newly elected speaker of Lok Sabha represents which among the following constituencies?
Sumitra Mahajan represents Indore. She won the Lok Sabha elections for the eighth time, one of three members of the 16th Lok Sabha to do so, and the longest-serving woman member.
3. Recently, Japanese firm Softbank has unveiled a robot which can read human emotions. The robot has been named as___?
Japanese firm Softbank has unveiled a robot called Peeper, which can read human emotions. It uses an emotional engine and a cloud-based artificial intelligence system that allows it to analyse gesture, expression and voice tones.
4. The “Karbi Peoples Liberation Tigers (KPLT)” was formed with an objective of carving an autonomous Karbi state out of _____?
The Karbi People’s Liberation Tiger was earlier known as Anti-Talks Factions of Karbi Longri North Cachar Hills Liberation Front. KPLT is dedicated to forming an Autonomous Karbi Sate out of Assam.
5. Recently, United States has unveiled a clean energy policy to cut carbon emission from existing power plants by 30 per cent by the year ___?
The United States has unveiled a new energy policy which aims to cut carbon emission from existing power plants, which is the single largest source of carbon pollution in the US, by 30 per cent by the year 2030. It also announced to cut by 2030 particle pollution, nitrogen dioxides, and sulfur dioxide by more than 25 per cent as a co-benefit.
6. The official slogan for the 2014 World Environment Day is ___?
[A]Small Islands and Climate Change
[B]Raise Your Voice Not the Sea Level
[C]No Global Warming for Tomorrow
[D]Climate Change and Sustainable Development
Raise Your Voice Not the Sea Level
The world environmental Day is observed on 5 June every year. The official slogan for the year 2014 is “Raise Your Voice Not the Sea Level”.
7. Who among the following has won the Ceat International Cricketer of the year award for 2013-14?
[A]M S Dhoni
[C]Shakib Al Hasan
India’s top batsman Virat Kohli has won the CEAT International Cricketer of the Year award for 2013-14. Off-spinner R Ashwin won the Indian Player of the Year award for 2013-14.
8. Irish author Elimear McBride won the 2014 Bailey’s women’s prize for fiction for her novel _____?
[C]A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing
A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing
9. The abacus of Lion Capital of Asoka is engraved with four animals viz. __:
[A]Lion, Elephant, Deer, Bull
[B]Lion, Bull, Horse, Deer
[C]Lion, Elephant, Horse, Bull
[D]Bull, Elephant, Tiger, Horse
Lion, Elephant, Horse, Bull
Lion Capital of Asoka was erected around 250 BC at Sarnath. It was not originally engraved with “Satyamev Jayate”, which was later adopted from Mundkopnishada. The four animals are guardians of the four directions: the lion of the north, the elephant of the east, the horse of the south and the bull of the west.
10. If a country has a closed economy, it implies that this country__:
[A]Does not allow private ownership of capital
[B]Doesn’t have flexible exchange rates
[C]Doesn’t have fixed exchange rates
[D]Does not conduct trade with other countries
Does not conduct trade with other countries