GK & Current Affairs: July 20, 21, 2015
1. Amélie Mauresmo, who has been recently inducted in the International Tennis Hall of Fame; belongs to which of the following countries?
Recently, Amélie Mauresmo (former World No. 1 tennis player of France) is inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame. In her career, she won two Grand Slam singles titles viz. Australian Open and at Wimbledon. At present, she is the coach of Tennis player, Andy Murray.
2. Recently, which of the following union ministries has launched the “Participatory Guarantee System (PGS)” portal?
[A]Ministry of Commerce
[B]Ministry of Agriculture
[C]Ministry of Rural Development
[D]Ministry of Labour
Answer: Ministry of Agriculture
The Agriculture Ministry has launched three agri-portals viz. Soil Health Card (SHC) portal, Fertiliser Quality Control System (FQCS) portal and Participatory Guarantee System (PGS). The purpose to launch these portals is to make the process of organic farming certification, fertilisers’ quality checking and issuance of soil health cards, more transparent and accountable. These are available only in English. In the next phase, these portals will also be available in regional languages.
3. Which of the following city is host to the Global Rice Bran Oil Conference 2015?
To promote rice bran oil and its value added products, the second Global Rice Bran Oil Conference 2015 will be held in Mumbai on August 7-8, 2015. The conference is being organised by the International Association of Rice Bran Oil and hosted by The Solvent Extractors’ Association of India. The theme of the conference is “Position, promotion and prospect of rice bran oil as a health oil in the world’’.
4. United States has recently restored diplomatic relations after 54 years with which of the following countries?
Both the countries, the United States of America (USA) and Cuba re-established diplomatic relations after 54 years and opened their embassies in Havana and Washington, D.C.
5. Who among the following personalities launched “Breakthrough Listen” project to search for Aliens?
Answer: Stephen Hawking
Professor Stephen Hawking launched a $100-million project (also known as Breakthrough Listen) to search for Aliens at the Royal Society in London. The project is funded by Silicon Valley technology investor and physicist Yuri Milner.
6. Which of the following trophies dropped by BCCI for 2015-16 season?
Answer: Duleep Trophy
The BCCI’s domestic programme will start with the Ranji Trophy from October 1, 2015. In all 900 matches will be played and the 2015-16 season will end with the Irani Cup match scheduled to be held from March 6, 2016. But, the inter-zonal cricket tournament, Duleep Trophy dropped for 2015-16 season due to packed schedule.
7. As per recommendations of which committee, BCCI changed the format of the Deodhar Trophy?
Answer: Anil Kumble
As per Anil Kumble-led technical committee recommendations, BCCI changed the format of the Deodhar Trophy, an inter- zonal one day tournament. Deodhar Trophy will have four 50-overs matches across five days between January 24-28, 2016. It will be played on a 3-team format that consists of the champion team of the Vijay Hazare tournament and 2 other teams which will be selected by the Senior National selectors.
8. Which among the following bagged the 2015 Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Award in the ‘Heritage & Culture’ category?
[A]Hong Kong Tourism
[B]Tourism Authority of Thailand
[D]None of the above
Answer: Kerala Tourism
The Kerala Tourism bagged 2015 Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) award for its Muziris Heritage Project in the ‘Heritage & Culture’ category. The award, sponsored by the Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO), was conferred on the Muziris Heritage Project for its conservational aspect, uniqueness and impact on local community.
9. Alex Rocco, who died recently, was a famous__:
The US actor, Alex Rocco was best known for his role in crime drama “The Godfather” was recently died due to cancer. He won an Emmy for his role in 1990s sitcom ‘The Famous Teddy Z’ and also voiced the studio boss behind Itchy and Scratchy in The Simpsons.
10. Which among the following are the two sites of India’s nuclear fuel complex?
[A]Hyderabad & Bangalore
[B]Kudunkulam and Kota
[C]Hyderabad and Kota
[D]Narora and Hyderabad
Answer: Hyderabad and Kota
India already has one nuclear fuel complex at Hyderabad. Another nuclear fuel complex is coming up in Kota in Rajasthan.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »