GK & Current Affairs: August 3, 2013
1. “Saraswati Samman” award for the year 2012 has been conferred on____?
[A]S L Byrappa
[D]G S Shivarudrappa
Renowned Malayalam poetess and social activist SughathaKumari has been conferred with prestigious Saraswati Samman award for 2012 instituted by KK Birla Foundation. Sugathakumari was honoured for her collection of poems in Malayalam entitled Manalezhuthu (The writing on sand) published in 2006.
2. Who among the following has been sworn in as new Iranian president?
[A]Ayatollah Ali Khameni
Moderate cleric Hassan Rouhani took office as Iran’s president, succeeding Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khan endorsed him. The start of Rouhani’s presidency puts an end to Ahmedinejad’s eight years in office.
3. Recently (Aug 2013), in which of the following countries, an International Tamil Radio service has completed 50 years of broadcasting?
The Tamil Service of the state-run China Radio International (CRI) celebrated its golden jubilee making 50 years of uninterrupted broadcasting at various parts of worlds beside India and Sri Lanka. The CRI Tamil service was founded in Aug 1, 1963 and has expanded its operation on a multimedia communication platform with a mixture of shortwave broadcasting service, FM service, website, mobile and magazine services.
4. In which of the following places, Bharat Heavy Electricals new unit has been opened?
[A]Pudukkottai, Tamil Nadu
Pudukkottai, Tamil Nadu
Prime Minister Manamohan Singh has dedicated a piping unit and a high pressure boiler plant of public sector Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL) to the nation in Thirumayam in Pudukkottai district of Tamil Nadu.
5. Which one of the following is not a “Classical Language of India”?
Tamil, Sanskrit, Kannada, Telugu and Malayalam are so far declared as classical language of India.
6. As per the RBI, the cap on the foreign investment for a new bank is?
As per the RBI new guidelines, there would be a cap of 49% on foreign holdings in new banks and it must have a minimum paid up capital of Rs 500 crore.
7. Who among the following has been recently (August 2013) elected as President of Zimbabwe?
Africa’s oldest president, Robert Mugabe, was declared winner of Zimbabwe election. Zimbabwe’s Election Commission announced Mugabe had beaten Tsvangirai with just over 61 percent of the votes, against nearly 34 percent for Tsvangirai.
8. Which one of the following pairs is not correct?
[A]Gorkha Janmukti Morcha – West Bengal
[B]Tulu Nadu – Tamil Nadu
[C]Bodoland – Assam
[D]Vidarbha – Maharashtra
Tulu Nadu – Tamil Nadu
Tulu Nadu state movement aims the formation of a separate Tulu Nadu state from Karnataka.
9. Who among the following is set to head the “Tax Administration Reforms Commission” of India?
Parthasarathi Shome, advisor to Finance Minister P Chidambaram, is set to head to the Tax Administration Reforms Commission, which has been tasked to review the tax rules enforced by officials. Shome, an economist and tax expert of international repute, has already named head of a forum to interact with industry groups on tax related issues and disputes.
10. The “Karakoram Pass” links which of the following two countries?
[A]India and China
[B]China and Pakistan
[C]India and Pakistan
[D]India and Bangladesh
India and China
The Karakoram pass is a 4,693 meter mountain pass between India and China.
Category: Daily Current Affairs Quiz « Previous QuizNext Quiz »