Use of Bio-Diesel in Diesel Locos
The Indian Railways is planning to run its diesel locomotives fleet using bio-diesel. The Indian Railways has informed the Parliament that the B-5 bio-diesel has been tested for the operation of diesel locomotives by the Research Designs and Standards Organisation (RDSO).
- Initially, bio-diesel might be used for running diesel locomotives on a pilot basis before its usage is made mandatory by the railways.
- Bio-diesel usage will help in saving on the diesel bill of the railways.
- Bio-diesel will also help in reducing emissions, thus decreasing pollution.
- In 2018-29 the high-speed diesel cost, including the freight, taxes stood at Rs 18,587.14 crore while in 2019-20 it was Rs 16,030.58 crore.
- The diesel expenditure of the Indian railways is expected to fall as the railways is trying to achieve 100 percent electrification by 2023 end though diesel locomotives will be in use for quite a while for the purpose of freight operations as they have a high carrying capacity.
Biodiesel is a biodegradable and renewable fuel that is manufactured domestically from animal fats, vegetable oils, or recycled restaurant grease so that it can be used in diesel vehicles or diesel fuel-operated equipment. Bio-diesel’s physical properties are quite similar to that of petroleum.
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|