Global Liveability Index 2022
The Global Liveability Index 2022 was published by the “Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), recently.
- The Global Liveability index ranks cities across the globe for their “liveability quotient”, on the basis of certain criteria.
- In the latest index, top 10 world’s most liveable city list is dominated by Western European countries.
- Indian cities have performed poorly this year.
- Vienna has topped the ranking.
- It is followed by Copenhagen, at second position.
- Among the least 10 liveable cities, Tehran, Karachi, Dhaka and Lagos have been listed.
- Bengaluru have been ranked at 146th position. It is the least liveable city in India.
- Delhi has been placed at 140th
- Mumbai has been placed at 141st
- For the first time, Chennai, Bengaluru and Ahmedabad have been included to the list.
- Chennai is at 142nd and Ahmedabad is at 143rd
- Before this year’s index, only Delhi and Mumbai got featured among 173 cities that are ranked in the index.
- Indian cities have got the ideal score of 100.
How are cities ranked?
Cities across the world are ranked on various scales. On this scale, stability, culture and environment have been given highest weightage of 25 per cent each. Healthcare and infrastructure are having the weightage of 20 per cent, whereas education having 10 per cent weightage.
Ease of Living Index
In May 2022, Indian Government had published the “Ease of Living Index”. In this index, Bengaluru was ranked as the most liveable city among 111 cities. Pune, Ahmedabad, Chennai and Surat followed Bengaluru in the index. In “million-plus population category”, 49 cities were listed. Out of which, Delhi was ranked at13th place while and Srinagar at the bottom.
The Global Liveability Index
The Economist Intelligence Unit published “Global Liveability Index” annually. In the index, 172 global cities are listed for the urban quality of life based on stability, healthcare, culture, education, environment, and infrastructure.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|