Quiz 549: General Studies for UPSC Examinations
1. Recently, India became the first pioneer investor to have been allotted a site of 1,50,000 sq km in the Central Indian Ocean Basin (CIOB) by International Sea Bed Authority (ISBA) of United Nations for harnessing the Polymetallic Modules (PMN) lying on the seabed. The Polymetallic Modules (PMN) predominantly contain which among the following metals?
2. Consider the following statements about a leader of India:
1. He was an ardent supporter of “Partyless Democracy”
2. From Sakhodevra Ashram , he gave a call for Total Revolution in 1974
3. He said: Self-Government, Self-Management, Mutual Cooperation and sharing, equality, freedom, brotherhood all could be practiced and developed better if men lived in small communities.
Identify this leader from the given options?
[A]Acharya Vinoba Bhave
[B]Jay Prakash Narayan
[C]V. M. Tarkunde
[D]Ram Manohar Lohia,
3. On July 31, 1937, Gandhi had published an article in the Harijan. Based upon this article, an all India National Education Conference was held on October 22 and 23, 1937, which was called the Wardha Educational Conference. All of the following resolutions were taken at the Wardha Educational Conference except one. Identify that from the given options:
[A]Free and compulsory education to be provided for 7 years at a nationwide scale.
[B]Mother tongue should be the medium of instruction.
[C]Through out this period of 7 years, the education should be focused around India’s rich culture, heritage and proud history
[D]This system would generate the remuneration of the teachers.
4. Under which of the following INA comrades, Officers’ Training School for INA officers was opened in 1943?
[A]Lt. Col. M.Z. Kiani.
[B]Habib ur Rahman
[D] Lt. Col J.K. Bhonsle
5. Consider the following statements:
1. National Agricultural Insurance Scheme (NAIS) was launched from Rabi 1999-2000 replacing the erstwhile Comprehensive Crop Insurance Scheme (CCIS)
2. Only those crops which have adequate past data are included in the NAIS
3. The NAIS is applicable only in defined areas for each notified crop
Which among the above statements is/ are correct?
[A]Only 1 is correct
[B]Only 1 & 2 are correct
[C]Only 1 & 3 are correct
[D]All are correct
6. Consider the following companies:
1. National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO),
2. HINDALCO Industries Limited
3. Bharat Aluminium Company Limited (BALCO)
4. Madras Aluminium Company Limited (MALCO)
Which among the above are Public Sector Companies?
[B]1 & 2
[C]1, 2 & 3
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
7. Consider the following statements:
1. In India, monazite and thorium are the principal source of rare earths elements
2. India is self sufficient in Rare Earth elements
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
[A]Only 1 is correct
[B]Only 2 is correct
[C]Both 1 & 2 are correct
[D]Neither 1 nor 2 is correct
8. The area around which among the following modern cities of India, a Hindu Silhara dynasty ruled from 9th to 13th century AD?
9. Which among the following is the correct set of three largest river basins (by area), from largest to smallest ?
[A]Amazon, Congo, Ganga
[B]Amazon, Congo, Mississippi
[C]Amazon, Mississippi, Congo
[D]Amazon, Mississippi, Ganga
10. Out of the given options, in which of the following states of India, there is no Government departments for the regular updations of land records hence, called a Non Land Record state?
11. Consider the following:
2. Diammonium Phosphate
3. Muriate of Potash
Which among the above are under statutory price control in India?
[C]1 & 2
[D]1, 2 & 3
12. Who among the following made a statement of end of strike after the famous RIN mutiny of 1946 at Kolkata?
[A]Liaqat Ali Khan
[D]Mohammad Ali Jinnah
13. Consider the following:
Which among the above can be used as organic and bio fertilizers?
[B]1 & 2
[C]1, 2 & 3
[D]Only 1 & 3
14. Deposition of which among the following in the joints, causing inflammation is reason of Gout, one of the forms of arthritis?
15. Which among the following landforms is formed by the action of a geologic rift or fault?