Maitree Super Thermal Power Project : 7 GK & Current Affairs Facts
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina recently unveiled Unit-1 of Maitree Super Thermal Power Project.
- It is located at Rampal in Bagerhat district of Khulna division of Bangladesh.
- The 1320 (2×660) MW coal-fired power plant is being set up at a cost of approximately $2 billion.
- The project is being developed under India’s concessional financing scheme and will add 1320 MW to Bangladesh’s national grid.
- It is being built by Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) for Bangladesh-India Friendship Power Company Private Limited (BIFPCL).
- The first unit of this super thermal power plant will go into commercial operation in early October and will be a major breakthrough in the growing cooperation in the Bangladesh-India power sector.
- Unit-II of the power plant, also known as the Rampal coal-fired power project, is expected to be commissioned early next year.
- Once both the units of this mega power plant are commissioned, Maitree Super Thermal Power Project will be one of the largest power plants in Bangladesh.
Agreements signed between the two countries –
- Seven agreements related to water resources, railways, science and technology and space technology etc. have been signed during India-Bangladesh bilateral talks.
- During the bilateral talks, an agreement was signed between Prasar Bharati and Bangladesh Television to enhance cooperation in the broadcasting sector.
- An important agreement was also signed on the sharing of the waters of the Kushiyara River to benefit the Sylhet region of Bangladesh and the southern Assam region of India.
Category: International / World Current Affairs